Will I be disappointed with an X?

Really wish I could ride one so I know what I am getting...no one I know has one...I have rode a few "R" bikes and I know what to expect with one of them...

Jim, where are you located?? If your in Nor-Cal, there are several of us who ride Stonyford all the time and we would be happy to let you ride one, we have every bike setup that you could imagine from a Bone Stock to and open Desert setup even have one that rides with the Rekluse. my bike is setup with the '07R cam, FMF Q4 Jetted (with airbox opened) also have a Scott's... It can lug through any tight single track plus pull any hillclimb that I've come to...

hey, i recently bought a 2012 450x. i had to just for the green sticker. i never wanted one of these trail bikes since i always owned r's. i yet have to do all the mods cuz of money issues. it is a differnt bike completly from the r's. i am pretty happy with it so far. the weight is the most biggest issue i have so far. i am gonna do everything i can to make it lighter(battery,lights,odometer set up) but thats all i know how to make it lighter. it isnt too bad on the track. i can clear everything i hit. it is killer on the trails and i am faster on trails. sure i will do better in hare scramble races now. krannie and the other guys are a big help with tunning and mods. i never rode one fully tricked out but maybe you should take up there offers and try there's.

Compared to a CR-250R, a CRF-450X will feel heavier while manovering the bike, but on the other hand, the CRF will have a bunch of low-end torque that is quite handy.

The CRF-450X front brake is a bit on the weak side, in my opinion.

When you get down to the nitty-gritty, it's the classic case of more CCs and more weight and mass vs. less CCs and less weight and mass.

The front brake is weak compared to any two stroke CR I have ridden(my last one was a 1996).

We rode 35 miles of aggressive single track today, me on my X.

It works SO WELL it's amazing. Almost no 1st gear stuff, and every trail was flowing, so it was great fun.

The X handles so amazingly well once set up to your weight and style that it blows my mind. I've got to concentrate and keep the elbows up and lean the bike hard to get it to corner tight, but it works....and that's with 22mm clamps. It's no Ballerina....

I can ride it HARD for about 2.0 hours non-stop, or less than hard for about 6+ hours . I can ride my KX450 longer, and faster, but is miss the e-start, plush suspension, ergos, e-start, amazing grunt-a-bility, e-start, 18" wheel, e-start, wide ratio tranny, e-start, and the

e-start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can ride it HARD for about 2.0 hours non-stop, or less than hard for about 6+ hours . I can ride my KX450 longer, and faster, but is miss the e-start, plush suspension, ergos, e-start, amazing grunt-a-bility, e-start, 18" wheel, e-start, wide ratio tranny, e-start, and the

e-start.

I've had a couple 250 2 strokes, a CR500, and the 450X. For dunes and wide open logging/service roads I miss my CR500. For everything else, the 450X is perfect. Suspension is plush, it has plenty of low end power, and oh my gosh the e-start...

hey, i recently bought a 2012 450x. i had to just for the green sticker. i never wanted one of these trail bikes since i always owned r's. i yet have to do all the mods cuz of money issues. it is a differnt bike completly from the r's. i am pretty happy with it so far. the weight is the most biggest issue i have so far. i am gonna do everything i can to make it lighter(battery,lights,odometer set up) but thats all i know how to make it lighter. it isnt too bad on the track. i can clear everything i hit. it is killer on the trails and i am faster on trails. sure i will do better in hare scramble races now. krannie and the other guys are a big help with tunning and mods. i never rode one fully tricked out but maybe you should take up there offers and try there's.

You can also save over 4lbs with a high end aftermarket muffler and header, as well. Also, I was suprised when I first picked up the air filter and frame. I found a light weight filter/frame without the backfire screen that was 1/2 lb lighter than stock. The Shorai battery seems to be the biggest weight savings for the $'s.

You can also save over 4lbs with a high end aftermarket muffler and header, as well. Also, I was suprised when I first picked up the air filter and frame. I found a light weight filter/frame without the backfire screen that was 1/2 lb lighter than stock. The Shorai battery seems to be the biggest weight savings for the $'s.

? Have a FMF Q4 and its several lbs lighter then stock and definitely gonna do the Shorai. Thats all weight up high. If only can get the gas lower but the spar frame....

The last time I rode was about 13 years ago and on a YZ125. I like it, but it does feel heavy and sometimes I feel like I'm riding a bus. The only issues I have are it can be difficult to get it turned in tight stuff and the front brake feels weak.

Part of that is I haven't ridden in so long, part of it is I haven't done anything to the exhaust, battery, smog junk, etc. to get rid of weight, part of it is I'm so short I can't even touch the ground unless I slide way over to one side or the other, and the last bit is going to be the fact that the bike itself is just so damn big and heavy. Point being a lot of that isn't anything to do with X vs R.

As someone who used to spend a lot of time at the track with a smaller bike, it's not something I would buy if I were going to spend more time at the track than anywhere else. But as someone who wants to ride the desert, trails, etc. and spend a little time at the track, I'm very happy with it so far and I'm sure it will get better with some easy changes and getting my legs back.

I read a comment or two about the X being slow. I cant agree with that. Im 210 with gear on. My bike is uncorked. Fine tuned. It rips. If a bike is faster than you it is prob because you have not got into 3rd gear to start pulling away. I dont want to open the can of worms about top speed but I will say 86mph was what the GPS read on my brothers bone stock '05 prior to the uncorking of his X.

Here is a really crazy idea- what you are fast on is not the same bike I am fast on. The bike I am fast on is prob not the same bike you are fast on. It is a preference thing. Im a big person, the weight is not as noticeable. Im sure it makes me fatigue faster than a 230lb bike would but Im not riding motocross to have it matter to the point of where it bothers me.

Aside from aftermarket exhaust I have tubliss tires and no battery. Easy weight saving. (I have not got around to getting a new battery and it starts 1st kick...)