Has ElectroSport gotten any better?

So i've been searching around the past couple days looking at electrosport's past reviews, most of which are pretty bad. Then I read a post from 2011(I think) that said they are under new ownership and their stators actually work for more than 200 miles now. I have a 2004 yz450 and all i need to power is a 35w headlight and 1w taillight, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the "new" electrosport?

Edited by Jack450attack

It really doesn't matter i just want something cheap that won't break in a month, i really just need the lights to pass inspection, i would really only need the break light when i'm actually ridding it. So i guess i could go with a battery powered headlight for emergencies, and then just use a stator to power the break light, any ideas?

Edited by Jack450attack

It really doesn't matter i just want something cheap that won't break in a month, i really just need the lights to pass inspection, i would really only need the break light when i'm actually ridding it. So i guess i could go with a battery powered headlight for emergencies, and then just use a stator to power the break light, any ideas?

At one time, there was a local dude that rewound stators and lighting coils that advetized in the back of Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider. Unfortunately, he's retired now. You could do a little research and wind your own lighting coil on a used ststor. Other than that, you are probably tuck with power everything with a battery. If you use an LED tail light, you could get pretty good battery life.

Do you know if Rick stator is still in the re-wiring business? Ive read good things about him. I also read that trail tech use to rewire oem stators but that was a long time ago. I read that it's a little tricky to rewire the oem stator because you have to have 2 out of the 4 converted to run the lights, is it still pretty straight forward?

I bought a Moose Stator (likely ElectroSport) for my 07 450. It lasted about a season, found a guy who would rewind it, Ricky Stator would not....the rewound one lasted less then another year. Since then I have gone back to the stock stator and will take my chances with the law if I ever get pulled over.

If you're interested in a rewind, reach out to Amanda at....

Rick's Motorsport Electrics, Inc.

30 Owens Ct. #2

Hampstead, NH 03841

603-329-9901

www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

They did a quality job, the challenge was they were dealing with junk from the get-go.

Good Luck!

Bucause of the size limitation on the stock YZ flywheel. it's pretty tough to get more than 35 watts.

I have and OLD moose lighting coil/stator for my '06 that has been on the bike for 5 years and is still working. The Moose stator was actually from a YZ250 two stroke. The only difference was the backing plate. The Moose stator was probably made 15 years ago. It doesn't look at all like the new ones. The iron core is about 3 times thicker and it has a heavy coating of epoxy on it.

That's pretty sweet any idea of the exact year of the yz you got the stator from?

Also I don't need more than 35w I I need way less actually I only want to run my tail light and speedo off the stator and use a battery for the headlight because I don't plan on using it except to pass inspection. Thanks a lot guys

That's pretty sweet any idea of the exact year of the yz you got the stator from?

Also I don't need more than 35w I I need way less actually I only want to run my tail light and speedo off the stator and use a battery for the headlight because I don't plan on using it except to pass inspection. Thanks a lot guys

That doesn't really help you. The point was, at one time Moose made a decent stator. None of the YZ's ever had a lighting coil.

I've toyed with the idea of making another one like the antique Moose one I have, but I have to sacrifice three stock ones to do it. Right now I have two that I don't need but I'm not about to spend $100 for the 3rd one on an experiment.

Well, I have also been looking into just swapping in a wr450 5 speed of the same years, if I can find one. This would solve all my stator problems right?

Just so I'm clear, a rewound oem unit still won't put out enough to run the tail/speedo? I remember reading a postby Rick stator saying to run lights with the oem unit you had to convert two of the four poles to run the lights, is there truth in this?

Well, I have also been looking into just swapping in a wr450 5 speed of the same years, if I can find one. This would solve all my stator problems right?

What on earth does your tranny have to do with powering a tail light?

Just so I'm clear, a rewound oem unit still won't put out enough to run the tail/speedo? I remember reading a postby Rick stator saying to run lights with the oem unit you had to convert two of the four poles to run the lights, is there truth in this?

35 watts will power a tail light and a headlight. Just not very bright and not at all at idle. The aftermarket lighting coils do rob 2 poles for the lighting.

A friend told me if I used the wr trans I could use the wr stator, but you are right after thinking about it that makes no sense, my bad.

Let me be more clear I am talking about having my stock stator rewound to utilize two of the poles to power a one watt led tail light and a speedometer. I will run my head light off of a battery not hooked up to the bikes electrical system at all. I was just asking if the stock yz450 stator has the ability to run those two things after it is rewound.

I know the moose/electro sport puts out 35w but I don't trust the brand and want to avoid them after reading some recent customer reviews.

Let me be more clear I am talking about having my stock stator rewound to utilize two of the poles to power a one watt led tail light and a speedometer. I will run my head light off of a battery not hooked up to the bikes electrical system at all. I was just asking if the stock yz450 stator has the ability to run those two things after it is rewound.

Yes. That is how the aftermarket stators are wound. Somone that is competant in rewinding stators can do that for you.

You will have to have the stator wound with a floating ground, use a full wave bridge rectifier/regulator and probably still have to run a large capacitor to stabilize the voltage enough to run an electronic speedometer.

If you have a smart phone, you could download a speedometer app and have it in a quick mount on the handlebars and avoid the whole speedometer issue.

Edited by 2grimjim

Thanks a lot! I'm glad i can avoid the electrosport, too bad they don't make a quality product like they use too.

If you are interested in trying that experiment out, i could maybe supply a stator for you if you let me buy the finish product from ya?

I didn't know those apps were that accurate, you just saved me some money :bonk:

If you are interested in trying that experiment out, i could maybe supply a stator for you if you let me buy the finish product from ya

If it works, I'm keepin' it!

I didn't know those apps were that accurate, you just saved me some money :bonk:

The one I have on my iPhone is pretty damn accurate. It uses the GPS built into the phone. It even works when I have no phone or data service.

A friend told me if I used the wr trans I could use the wr stator, but you are right after thinking about it that makes no sense, my bad.

What you would need to do in order to run the WR450 flywheel and stator is to change the crank (at least the left axle), the ignition cover, and the crankcases to WR parts. Kind of a pricey venture.

I installed an ElectroSport stator as part of a build on my son's 310 (big bore, stroked WR250). To get the stroke, I had to use a YZ crank, which meant I lost the WR stator and flywheel...so far, a little more than a year and probably 600-700 miles, it's held up fine. ElectroSport did have some problems wiht their Yamaha stuff, but appear to haev the bugs worked out.