2003 YZ450F reliability/longevity setup

Hey everyone,

I tried searching and didn't necessarily find something as specific as this. What tips and add-ons could I address on my 03 450 in order to have one that is as bulletproof as possible? Specifically, I want to add as much riding time between maintenance intervals as possible. Also, I don't mind a high initial cost as long as it is worth it in the long run. So let's hear your thoughts!

Damian

I've had my 03 YZ450F for about 3 1/2 years now. All I've ever done is change the oil and keep a clean air filter on it. I don't race it, only woods riding. So I don't ring it's neck like some people might. I've never had any problems with it. It's starts up from 1-3 kicks pretty much every time. Even after sitting for 4 or more weeks. It runs strong and has way more power than I really need. Just keep up on the basics and you should be good to go.

I understand maintenance is key, but I am looking more towards the little insider tips to making this thing run forever and not have to do maintenance so frequently. For a very basic explanation: Switching to an O-ring chain makes the chain and sprockets last longer and require a little bit less upkeep. That's the type of stuff I'm looking for. I am honestly not worried about power increases or even weight as much as I am at having a reliable, easy to work on and maintain bike.

Damian

Edited by TeamPrecisionIT

I believe you're pretty much there. I run an 0-ring and it's lasting quite a long time. Skid plate, disc protectors, maybe some radiator guards. And maybe those fork socks to protect the fork seals. Those are your vitals in my opinion. I'm not sure what else you can do. Maybe someone else will have more tips. Oil changes don't need to be done every two rides if you run a quality oil.

I am looking more towards the little insider tips to making this thing run forever and not have to do maintenance so frequently.

Your two stated goals are at odds with one another. Apart from your example of using a high quality O-ring chain, there is no such magic. Use a high quality, premium motorcycle specific oil or its functional equivalent, change it often, use a good filter oil and a fresh cleaned and oiled air filter every ride, and deal with every maintenance issue that comes up immediately, and the bike will last for hundreds of hours. Anything less than that is some degree of neglect.

• Like 1

Thanks Gray. I guess my roadracing history might be what's really at odds. I remember always trying to change the bike to make maintenance as easy as possible which increased longevity. I guess with dirt bikes being relatively simple and easy to work on machines from the onset that is null and void.

Damian

You could get a clutch cover from a '07-'09 YFZ450 (4 wheeler, not the 'R' model) and use it. They added a piston cooling jet, like the '06 and newer YZ's. It's a bolt in option on your bike. Another added benefit is you will need to upgrade to the 20mm kickstarter shaft, another reliability improvement made on the '04 and later YZ's. '03 used a 18mm kickstarter shaft and they do break, taking out the clutch cover at the same time.

Edited by 2grimjim

If you really want to get carried away, you could use a connecting rod and piston from an '06-'09 YFZ450. The YFZ's use a 20mm wrist pin vs the YZ's 18mm.

When was the wrist pin EVER a problem in a YZ450F? I think it's instructional to note that they went from 18 to 20mm, and then back to 18mm for the YZ450F again without any issues.

Besides, the two biggest problems the '03 had were that the big end bearing had an occasional tendency to break its cage, and the usual thing about popping out of 3rd or 4th after a long time of sloppy shifting. Mine went well over 400 hours without either problem, though, and never needed a valve adjustment.

• Like 1

When was the wrist pin EVER a problem in a YZ450F? I think it's instructional to note that they went from 18 to 20mm, and then back to 18mm for the YZ450F again without any issues.

YZ's went from 19mm to 18mm. They were never 20mm. Only the YFZ (four wheeler) has the 20mm pin (and they still do)

I wasn't saying that the 18mm pin ever was a problem on the YZ. Just that is could be a longevity upgrade. If the OP was in the mood for making these kinds of mods, then why not go with the 20mm conrod while upgrading the big end bearing/pin?

It's a simple exchange of parts. They will fit the YZ crank with no problem and the YFZ piston has the same compression height as the YZ piece.

.....just sayin'.

Edited by 2grimjim