HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz450fcranker

new oem steering stem bearings 2009 yz 450f

10 posts in this topic

i have tried to get the lower bearing out of the triple clamp with a screwdriver and a hammer is there a special trick to get it out only real methods that work please

i get them off with a air hammer with the chisel attachment. just put the clamp in a vise and just be real careful. or if thats not possibe to do cause you dont want to scratch it, use a pair of dykes and cut the cage out and remove the rollers. then take a small cut off wheel and make a cut in the bearing as deep as possible and then take a chisel and hammer and smack it where you cut it and it will crack the rest of the way and then you can slide it off

The real method that works is to press the stem down out of the lower clamp and bearing, then back into the clamp, then install the new bearing.

1 person likes this

I used a little heat to get the ones out of my 07 yz250. And a nice solid punch. One thing i learned is that you have to take your time and be patient.

How about installing the new races? i have seen the park tool press and it is very expensive. Local motorcycle shop said it would take two weeks to get it done if I gave him the entire bike, rather than just the frame.

I have heard of the socket method, but how can one be sure that the races do not become misaligned?

Sorry if this is a hijack, but I thought it was relevant to the OP

For installing new races. First, throw the races in your freezer. Go to your local AutoZone store and rent a bearing installer. They take a deposit and you get it back when you return the tools. I usually will leave the races in the freezer for about 12 hours or more. Take a torch and heat up the frame on the outside of where the bearing race will sit. Keep the flame moving. Keep the flame away from any cables or wires. Be patient and go slowly! I heat up the area for about 1-2 minutes. Get the race and put it in the frame. Use a hammer and the bearing installer tool and bang it in. Pay close attention to the race and make sure it is not skewed in the opening or crooked. If one side starts going in more than the other, concentrate on the opposite side a little more.

1 person likes this

To install the new lower stem bearing, first press the stem back in place. Then support the stem by its base and press the new bearing back on using a piece of tube that bears only on the inner bearing race and does not contact the roller cage. When you're sure the bearing is bottomed, give the press table a solid rap with a hammer so the shock will seat the bearing positively.

Freezing and heating are good tricks, but I haven't found it necessary for installing bearing races in frames. I select an appropriate driver and install them with that and a hammer until they bottom positively in their seats. The thing to remember is to drive only on the outer end of the race, and on as much of the circumference at once as is possible.

I built a special bearing installation tool with a short section of PVC piping and a hose clamp. Put a couple slits in the end of the pipe, lengthwise, about 2 inches long. Place the clamp over the slits to pull the tabbed section down to the correct diameter of the inner race. Now apply even pressure and drive the bearing into place.

How about installing the new races? i have seen the park tool press and it is very expensive. Local motorcycle shop said it would take two weeks to get it done if I gave him the entire bike, rather than just the frame.

I have heard of the socket method, but how can one be sure that the races do not become misaligned?

Sorry if this is a hijack, but I thought it was relevant to the OP

I take the race i took out, turn it upside down, mate it to the race you are installing and lightly tap it in place.

Works everytime for me. :bonk: