HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riggy

01 yz426 cam ?

3 posts in this topic

I was doing some searching and looking for some clarifaction . does the stock cam have a decompression ring on it ? or just the lever by handlebars in block to releave excess pressure in cylinder when starting ? I assume stock doesnt ! also If thats correct I could go to a hotcams intake and exhaust cam with decompression rings on them and then plug the old decomp hole in block and add the hotstart . Has anyone done that and is it easier to start or worth the time and money ?

Edited by riggy

just got through doing this....

the stock yz426 has a decompression lever that pushes on the exhaust shim/bucket on the exhaust valve on the right side of the bike. the stock 426 cam does not have any type of auto decompression.

i installed a hotcams stage 1 exhaust cam with auto decompression. left the stock intake cam.

i also installed a decompression plug in the cylinder head, and removed the stock decompression lever, cable, and actuator from the head.

i made a trip to the yamaha dealer and picked up a couple of shims yesterday, and put everything back together... (i should have just ordered the hotcams exhaust shim kit)

yes the bike is easier to start... no starting ritual, i just kicked it, and bam, it started.... :bonk:

Edited by tommie594