HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hopper Show

purchasing skid plate

17 posts in this topic

I have the Utah Sport. IMHO pretty much indestructible. If weight were a big issue for me I would stop eating cookies!

Of those two, I'd pick the Utah sport... but I did the same research for my own WR last year, and I picked the Flatland racing plate.. its MASSIVE and is very thick. I highly reccomend it. It fits snugly, so you'll have to fiddle a little bit to get it on.. but once you do it fits like a glove.

For any aluminum plate you get, be sure to cut up an old innertube into several long strips, and sandwich them inbetween the frame rails and the plate.. it helps to cut down on noise and vibes.

I have the Utah sport on my '04. Easy on / easy off...takes lots of punishment...I would recommend this product.

I have the Scorpion racing skid plate and love it. Fits great. Easy to mount and looks better than the rest in my opinion. Is vented and comes with foam for frame rails as well as foam for under engine to make it quiet. Mounts using no clamps. They give a great TT discount also and free shipping to the US.

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3080.jpgIMG_3083.jpg

I've got a Flatland Racing plate on my WR and a Utah Sport plate on my YZ. Both are about the same thickness and both have taken lots of really nice hits with no damage to anything underneath. Either one of those should provide plenty of protection for many years to come :bonk:

Hyde is ok but dont last . I have one and the holes dont match the bike well . Buy if you want but you have been warned.

Another vote for the Flatland. Uses stock mounting locations and provides great coverage. I have put mine to the test and it seems to be holing up well.

how about the utah skid but get the anodized black one? prob already know the answer, but would it hold up? obviously hits from rocks would scratch it. what about normal roost coming off tires? would it get sand blasted?

how about the utah skid but get the anodized black one? prob already know the answer, but would it hold up? obviously hits from rocks would scratch it. what about normal roost coming off tires? would it get sand blasted?

I would think the anodization would sand blast it. Just guessing.

no no not during the anodizing process. i mean when its on the bike would the roost from the front tire "sand blast" the black off the skid. i like the idea of the black accents. carbon light speed frame guards, black rad guards , black handle bars, etc.

no no not during the anodizing process. i mean when its on the bike would the roost from the front tire "sand blast" the black off the skid. i like the idea of the black accents. carbon light speed frame guards, black rad guards , black handle bars, etc.

Yes, the sand, rocks and other debris make a perfect "blasting" medium and take the finish off right quick.

Bought a Utah black one for my Dads KLR back a few years ago and within 200 miles it had created a path of missing finish right behind the front wheel. First time you use it, finish will wear off.

Ymmv, however.