Safety Wire on Throttle Cable

I'm setting up my new 250XC and a friend mentioned it would be a good idea to safety wire the throttle cable to the carb body and to the "grip-pully-housing". He explained this was a common mod and would prevent a WOT situation if the cabe were to get hooked on a branch while blasting thru the woods.

Can anyone with experiance point me to a previous thread where this may have been discussed?

Look on KTM talk for much discussion of this issue. Another option is the motion pro replacement cable with ends that can't pull out. A lot of guys seem to like it, but I'm not one of them. My cable appears to be of significantly lower quality than the OEM version, required a good bit a massaging with a file to fit, and I can't really find a satisfactory route. I currently have it routed like a Japanese bike (behind the number plate and down the left side of the frame), but it sticks up too high over the bars. If your CDI mounts on the left side up by the headstock, you are probably going to have the same problem I have if you go with the motion pro cable. If not, you my be able to use a Japanese style route. I am probably going to go back to the stocker and try the safety wire method myself. Please post any good options/solutions you find.

Look on KTM talk for much discussion of this issue. Another option is the motion pro replacement cable with ends that can't pull out. A lot of guys seem to like it, but I'm not one of them. My cable appears to be of significantly lower quality than the OEM version, required a good bit a massaging with a file to fit, and I can't really find a satisfactory route. I currently have it routed like a Japanese bike (behind the number plate and down the left side of the frame), but it sticks up too high over the bars. If your CDI mounts on the left side up by the headstock, you are probably going to have the same problem I have if you go with the motion pro cable. If not, you my be able to use a Japanese style route. I am probably going to go back to the stocker and try the safety wire method myself. Please post any good options/solutions you find.

Hmmm...I was planning on getting the 4 inch longer Motion Pro, it looks good in pics. Where did you have the problem with fitment, on the carb end? Many run a longer Honda CR250 cable and run it down the right side I believe. I liked the idea of the Motion Pro, but now you have me concerned. I have the stock set up safety wired but I need to replace the cable soon.

Hmmm...I was planning on getting the 4 inch longer Motion Pro, it looks good in pics. Where did you have the problem with fitment, on the carb end? Many run a longer Honda CR250 cable and run it down the right side I believe. I liked the idea of the Motion Pro, but now you have me concerned. I have the stock set up safety wired but I need to replace the cable soon.

What I bought was the motion pro T3. It required filing on both ends, but the carb end "button" (whatever is is called) was way off. It was probably twice as long as the stocker, and a good bit bigger in diameter, and somewhat irregular in shape. The throttle end was just a little too large to fit my G2 throttle. Overall, the cable housing was thinner (and appears less durable), and the threaded "thumbwheel" that you use to adjust the free play is really out of round and loose, but it does work. I usually like motion pro products, but I am not impressed with this one. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I'm really interested in the right side route mentioned above. Where do you run the extra cable? My bike has the XC tank, and I just can't seem to find a route that does not leave a bunch of cable sticking way up above the bars.

Edited by rpt50

You can buy an OEM Honda CR250R cable as well ... Excellent quality (made in Japan) and various lengths to choose from.

I bought the Motion Pro cable and had fitment issues as well. Its now sitting in my garage unused.

There are 3 different lengths you can choose from based on year of bike.

1993-96 CR250R cable = 2.8" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-MAC-670

1997-99 CR250R cable = 4.3" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-KZ3-B00

2000 CR250R cable = 4.9" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-KZ3-J20

Agree with the above statement that Motion Pro is "usually"good stuff .. their cables not so much. My opinion is buy the Honda OEM one.

Edited by supervokes
  • Helpful 1

You can buy an OEM Honda CR250R cable as well ... Excellent quality (made in Japan) and various lengths to choose from.

I bought the Motion Pro cable and had fitment issues as well. Its now sitting in my garage unused.

There are 3 different lengths you can choose from based on year of bike.

1993-96 CR250R cable = 2.8" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-MAC-670

1997-99 CR250R cable = 4.3" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-KZ3-B00

2000 CR250R cable = 4.9" longer than stock KTM Honda P/N 17910-KZ3-J20

Agree with the above statement that Motion Pro is "usually"good stuff .. their cables not so much. My opinion is buy the Honda OEM one.

Great info! So do you think if I wanted to use a japan-style route, I guess the 93-96 cable would be best????????

• Like 1

I purchased a Motion Pro cable for a 99 CR250 and had no fitment problems on my KTM, both ends fit perfect. I will not got back to the stock cable or routing, wide open throttle in tight woods is not good. This happened to me twice in a Harescramble and I was on edge the rest of the race, not fun!

Edited by Silverslug

Same here but I run a GPR unit.

I took a wire rope tie which looks like a tiny muffler clap conected it to my stabilizer post then took a small piece of flat metal and fit it to the clamp with throttle cable run through it the cable can slide up and down with the suspension but can't hook on the stabilizer like that bad time climbing out of a creek bed "ouch"

Edited by gruberyz

the 4.3" Honda cable is ideal for running the cable down the left side, behind the CDI. Gary jp4 has listed the various part #'s several times. The CDI helps secure it, then some safety wire at both ends pretty much seals the deal.

this has all been covered in length here many times before.

IMHO, I think the right side run is too tight and I just don't like it. I also don't like behind the bars, untidies the cockpit.

I also don't like that the new MP T3 won't fit behind the CDI, but I may be satisfied with running it along top of the CDI. Haven't had the need yet.

The Honda cable is cheap and nice quality.

Edited by gmoss

What I bought was the motion pro T3. It required filing on both ends, but the carb end "button" (whatever is is called) was way off. It was probably twice as long as the stocker, and a good bit bigger in diameter, and somewhat irregular in shape. The throttle end was just a little too large to fit my G2 throttle. Overall, the cable housing was thinner (and appears less durable), and the threaded "thumbwheel" that you use to adjust the free play is really out of round and loose, but it does work. I usually like motion pro products, but I am not impressed with this one. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I'm really interested in the right side route mentioned above. Where do you run the extra cable? My bike has the XC tank, and I just can't seem to find a route that does not leave a bunch of cable sticking way up above the bars.

I really do think that you got the wrong cable or a bad one. I didnt have any of the issues that you describe. The routing was quite easy and I dont have any " extra cable " sticking out anywhere. I even have a headlight on the bike, so I had to route it around the back of the bulb housing. I have another Motion Pro cable for a friends bike. If i can figure out how to post pictures, i'll post up a pic of the cable to see if its the same as yours.

Great info! So do you think if I wanted to use a japan-style route, I guess the 93-96 cable would be best????????

Either of the 2 longer ones would work,

PS ... I found this info a while back and copied it down ... dug up the info, but forgot who posted it a while back (just reposted the info from an email I copied to myself from an old post ,,, copy/paste). So credit is due to somebody else .. not me :-)

As per gmoss above .. sounds like "Gary jp4" should get the credit for this

Edited by supervokes

In theory, the Motion Pro sounds perfect, just frustrating to hear about the inconsistent results. Some say great others not, is the product inconsistent in quality and fitment, or do we just have differing standards and opinions? The Honda cable sounds like the safer bet for me right now, but...for those getting the Motion Pro, please follow up and give us your thoughts after you install it.

Thx

In theory, the Motion Pro sounds perfect, just frustrating to hear about the inconsistent results. Some say great others not, is the product inconsistent in quality and fitment, or do we just have differing standards and opinions? The Honda cable sounds like the safer bet for me right now, but...for those getting the Motion Pro, please follow up and give us your thoughts after you install it.

Thx

Motion Pro on order . . . I'll follow up with the results in a few days.