2013 yz450f?

i just was on yamaha's website and watched some youtube videos of the new 2012 wr450f. the thing looks and sounds sweet! i have a 2010 yz450f right now and love it, but do wish it were slimmer. i hear the wr450f uses the yz250f frame? it looks looks like they just shoved the old 5-valve motor in the new yz250f frame, with beefier suspension and FI. do you guys think the 2013 yz450f will finally see a slimmer design? mayb different motor? i doubt the motor will change but with pros wanting slimmer bikes and the wr usin the 250f frame i am startin to think mayb yamaha will finally slim it down some? what does everyone else think?

The current rear inclined YZ450 will obviously not fit into a YZ250F frame without considerably more modifications than were done to accommodate the WR450. Whether Yamaha retools anything on the '13 models remains to be seen, but in the current economy, I am less inclined to expect it than I ordinarily would be.

I had some email contact with Jody Wiesel of Motocross Action magazine regarding this subject a couple weeks ago.

He had talked to some inside Yamaha guy and he had not got any yes or no word on it , but Jody said the body language of the Yamaha guy expressed a No, there won´t be any big news for 2013.

But nothing is certain.

Sorry to bring up an old thread,

Does it seem like Yamaha makes admitting they have an issue with a design worse than the issue itself?

Does it seem like Yamaha makes admitting they have an issue with a design worse than the issue itself?

When did Yamaha admit they have an issue ?

Honda takes the cake in that department. That said, no company is going to deliberately sabotage their own sales by admitting a "problem".

What "issue" does the bike supposedly have that anyone should admit to?

There will be no real changes to the 2013......no real R&D budget, world economy hurting and Tsunami repair being the major emphasys in Japan, don't expect anything spectacular....

Grey you know I am rarely here these days, but I can not help but to re iterate what the Honda fools will say....you know the design causes wrecks and keeps yamaha from any championships....HA HA....hmm honda and crashes and championships.... I guess all the new designs except green and yellow stink. Take care Bud!

I personally think the 2010-2012 is a good starting point. I wouldn't think Yamaha would go backwards in development by using a YZ based off of the WR set-up. I own a new-gen YZ250f and have nothing but great things to say about it but I feel like Yamaha has just scratched the surface with this new chassis/motor in the current YZ450f. There surely is a way to slim it down and lighten it up, but keep in mind it is the 2nd lightest bike in the class. I think eventually as money allows they will take the current bike another step forward but this is just my opinion.

The money thing is a good point... they will most likely go silent untill they can afford more costly adjustments.... till then it is colors, suspension valving, and mapping.

...and suspension valving gets changed 2-3 times a year, anyway.