HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcdude33

Can i damage my AP pump

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys I got a 09 yz450f with a Dr.d full system.

But here's my question. I did the oring mod to.my.bike and it did help with the bog but in the lower rpms its still there. Now a mechanic told me that when u hit the throttle the oring still flexes. Instead he told me to use wire to tie down the AP pump. That day there's no moving in the pump.

Now if I do this, will.it damage the pump? He told me it should get rid of the bog but like I said I just don't want to damage the pump.

Thanks guys and god bless all of you. And sorry for asking I'm not very good with the four stroke carbs.

Thanks

Alex

I would stick with an o-ring.

I thought before putting the o-ring in, you adjust the screw that the o-ring goes over so theres no gap between it and the AP linkage at wide open throttle?

I put a R&D power pump on my 09, with their AP linkage spring that works better than using an oring or wire. My bike doesnt bog at all. Would it help even more if I adjusted that screw on the AP linkage too?

Cool man hahaha but i may have to check that out. Did you notice better throttle response?

If you wire the pump, you will need to remove most of the button on the diaphragm or the pump linkage will keep your throttle from opening completely. Wiring is a "gorilla" mod for people who can't tune carbs or learn to ride without yanking the throttle open. I absolutely recommend against it.

The O-ring thing works, but a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing is to use the stiffer linkage spring from Merge Racing. The whole point of there being a spring there in the first place is to limit the pump discharge pressure and to allow the pump to bottom without limiting the travel of the throttle linkage.

In almost all cases, the carb can be tuned satisfactorily without any of the expensive aftermarket widgets that have been mentioned here. Start by checking the pump timing per the manual.

If you wire the pump, you will need to remove most of the button on the diaphragm or the pump linkage will keep your throttle from opening completely. Wiring is a "gorilla" mod for people who can't tune carbs or learn to ride without yanking the throttle open. I absolutely recommend against it.

The O-ring thing works, but a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing is to use the stiffer linkage spring from Merge Racing. The whole point of there being a spring there in the first place is to limit the pump discharge pressure and to allow the pump to bottom without limiting the travel of the throttle linkage.

In almost all cases, the carb can be tuned satisfactorily without any of the expensive aftermarket widgets that have been mentioned here. Start by checking the pump timing per the manual.

Really? Thats what eleven ten mods did to my buddy's carb haha. But how much does the spring usually run? Because i would really like to learn how to tune the carb rather than put wire on it haha.

Also doesnt zip ty racing make one?