Gearing for street/dirt riding

If I leave the gearing stock on a 06 wr450 what can I expect for top speed and comfortable cruising speed?

I hear people say this bike can power wheelie in the first 3 gears. Does that mean sitting down and using only throttle ? I tried and mine will only lift up in first gear

if you want that thing on the street and to be comfortable above anything higher than 45mph... your going to have to re-gear. remember for every 1 tooth taken off the drive sprocket, its the same as pulling 3 off the rear sprocket.

Have a look here:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

you can put in various sprocket combos to estimate speed at various rpm.

It also shows any impact of chain length associated with sprocket sizes.

I have found that going from 13/52 ->14/52 pretty acceptible for regular trail rides as it gave me 10mph more top end but not enough to bother me in tight stuff and I also didn't have to mess about with my chain.

If you drop the rear sprocket 3 teeth instead it will also mean your chain will be longer (unless you trim it) and will essentially mean a longer wheel base, so if you want to wheelstand you most likely want a shorter wheelbase.

Cheers

Im running a 16/47

most of my bikes all get geared this way.

you'd think it would just bog but im still always searching for "another gear"

I'm looking for gearing that I can cruise at 60-70mph without killing it. It that ok with stock ?

Nope. Not in my book at least, many others will say go for it.

Unless you make a sumo gearing change (to like a 16 front and 40 rear) which will make the bike way under geared off road that bike is a 50-65 mph runner. In all your threads we've asked you to do some searching as all this stuff you are asking about has been covered in great depth before and rehashing it is useless.

Going up a tooth in the front and down a tooth or so in the rear is a great compromise. I'm at a 15 front 49 rear on my 04 and it's a perfect compromise on and off road. It'll crawl at a walking pace with the clutch out and does 55 to 60 on the road with a short blast to 70 or so to pass no problem.

However I don't bang that bike off the rev limiter a lot either so YMMV.

But please search and read the Stickys, they are there for a reason.

Mike

The dealer said I have a 15/50 ratio stock and people say they will go 100mph In stock form, so wouldn't it be able to cruise at 60?

The dealer said I have a 15/50 ratio stock and people say they will go 100mph In stock form, so wouldn't it be able to cruise at 60?

06 is a 14/50 stock and I doubt you'd see a true 100mph out of a stock WR; like 90 is probably tops.60 was too many RPM's on my 04 when it had stock gearing, so I changed it. Some people run stock and have not reported a problem; YMMV.

Dude, you are asking for advice, we are giving it and you are challenging everything everytime we give it. Start searching; everything you need to know is there. Your dealer is incorrect. Or you can count the teeth yourself to be sure.

Mike

I run a 15 front and a 50 rear for road use on my 07 and it cruises nice at 55 or 60 with low rpm's. I live in a rural area and don't ride it on highways. If you can trust the speedo on the bike I have had it a little over a 100mph once.

I run a 15 front and a 50 rear for road use on my 07 and it cruises nice at 55 or 60 with low rpm's. I live in a rural area and don't ride it on highways. If you can trust the speedo on the bike I have had it a little over a 100mph once.

This sounds like what I need, can it still wheelie?

Wheelie 1st and 2nd not 3rd. Not completey stock all free mods have been done. Exhaust opened up and carb has been rejetted. I do change to a 14 front for trail and motorcross riding.