HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
32 to 1

450 advice

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

i am looking for a 450 after years out of the sport (still have a mint 2003 CR250) and always rode Hondas for a local dealer...but Iam looking a all brands. I have a few used bikes i am looking at and wanted to know if you had any thoughts on the ones I have on a short list. I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items... adding a new re-map or an exhaust is fine.

2009 RMZ450 - I read the rev limiter is an issue, but found a really clean one

2010 RMZ450 - do not know much about the 2010

2009 CRF450 - may be quite a few issues ?

2009/2010 KX450F - supposed to be big and bulky, but was top in some shooouts ?

2010 FZ450f - do not know much about the 2010

I have pretty much ruled out the 2009 YZ450 for the motor, I am looking to stay on the low side for cost as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I used to race A level back in the 90's, i have not ridden in 7 years, but will most likely go back to MX, possibly some trails, 170lb in the 40's for age....

Edited by 32 to 1

what type of riding do you do and how much do you weigh? what level of rider are you?

these are all needed to know aswell

Don't rule out the '09 based on the motor. The lack of mid range zip in that model was caused by two easily correctable things. One was the exhaust. The OEM shorty muffler was so bad that almost any slip-on or full system you replaced it with would add 5 hp to the dip in the power curve at 5000 rpm and make a new bike out of it, and there's lots of used ones out there that will have that done already.

The other thing is the CDI. The timing map is set up to reduce the low end hit so the bike is more easily manageable, but many or most think it was overdone. If you drop in the black box from an '06 it changes all that. Aftermarket ignitions will help too.

You could knock the '09 on it's lack of verve in cornering, but not on suspension or overall reliability, and the engine is an easy fix.

I used to race A/expert level back in the 90's and early 2000's...., i have not ridden in 7 years, but will most likely go back to MX, possibly some trails, 170lb in (now a plus 40 rider)

Don't rule out the '09 based on the motor. The lack of mid range zip in that model was caused by two easily correctable things. One was the exhaust. The OEM shorty muffler was so bad that almost any slip-on or full system you replaced it with would add 5 hp to the dip in the power curve at 5000 rpm and make a new bike out of it, and there's lots of used ones out there that will have that done already.

The other thing is the CDI. The timing map is set up to reduce the low end hit so the bike is more easily manageable, but many or most think it was overdone. If you drop in the black box from an '06 it changes all that. Aftermarket ignitions will help too.

You could knock the '09 on it's lack of verve in cornering, but not on suspension or overall reliability, and the engine is an easy fix.

X2, how many bikes do you see out there with aftermarket pipes on them ? Putting a slip-on or full system on the '09 makes a huge (5+ hp) difference. Once that's been corrected you're left with a bike that has the best sorted suspension out of the crate and one of the more reliable bikes out there. I had 7 Honda 's before my 2 Yamaha 's and made the switch because of the '09 crf450r - crap stock suspension, 4 spring clutch (why Honda why ?), the intake valve issue etc. etc.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not looking at the '09 yz450f.

09 yz450 lets see. I added an 06yz450 full exhaust for $75. Have not done the cdi yet but I figure noone would use all the power this bike has. There is not a better stock suspension out there. And mine turns on a dime with just correct rear spring for my weight and sag set. Reliability is bar none. Dont know why but it starts 1st or 2nd kick hot or cold, not your typical 4 stroke. Nah I wouldn't get an 09 yz 450f.

1 person likes this