HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HRC

Vid: enjoying time on the blue bike...

6 posts in this topic

Have spent some more time on the -12 yz450 and just thought I post a little vid.

For those who hasn't made up their mind of what bike to buy next...I truly recommend the new generation yamis. It's alot of bashing going on regarding this bike but I can't truly understand it. OK if you are full blown pro, but for us doing only for the fun it is a awesome bike.

I just got a new yz450 too, read alot of the 450 shoot outs and the yamaha was nearly always in last or second last but still wanted to go blue anyways because of reliability and it looks bad ass. The biggest complaint seem to be the bike felt unbalanced and the radiator shrouds seems too wide, which were not deal breakers in my books.

I got a couple questions...

What setup are you running for tires? just studs?

Did you have to do any changing to the FI for the cold?

How does the bike handle if you go in deeper snow?

Im curious because I wouldnt mind trying it out with my bike.

I just got a new yz450 too, read alot of the 450 shoot outs and the yamaha was nearly always in last or second last but still wanted to go blue anyways because of reliability and it looks bad ass. The biggest complaint seem to be the bike felt unbalanced and the radiator shrouds seems too wide, which were not deal breakers in my books.

I got a couple questions...

What setup are you running for tires? just studs?

Did you have to do any changing to the FI for the cold?

How does the bike handle if you go in deeper snow?

Im curious because I wouldnt mind trying it out with my bike.

I use Trelleborg "Winterfriction" factory studded tires. Best tires for winterriding with out a doubt !

dubbdck.jpg

The stock map works great for winterriding so no problem with that, I have also tried some other maps and the best one for riding on snow/ice is the MXA recomended map called "hardpack". But as I said , the stock 2012 map works good as it is. (The 2011 stock map is a little more on and off so it might be better with a map that takes away that offidle jerky feel.)

If you go out in to the deep snow it is almost like when you drive your car in to a puddle of water....nothing I recommend. The track need to be plowed.

If you go out in to the deep snow it is almost like when you drive your car in to a puddle of water....nothing I recommend. The track need to be plowed.

Junior and I went up to a local riding area just to ride in the snow a couple years back. We had ridden there before when there was 1-3" on the ground at most, and had a blast on just normal knobbies (but the ground never really freezes here). This time, though it was a foot deep on the flats and the temp was around 34 ℉ (1 or 2 ℃) and it just plain didn't work. It was like riding on water or something because the tires wouldn't cut through to the dirt. So we loaded up the bikes with snow packed in every nook and cranny and rolled down the other side of the mountains to ride in the desert instead. When we got there, we still had snow in the wheels so we started a snowball fight in the desert while we unloaded. People were completely confused by this sight. Fun times.