Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deathrow9

Loose Kick Starter?

7 posts in this topic

Does this seem like a loose kick starter? As you can see there are scratches on the brake lever and some on the backside of the lever which either makes me think its loose. Not to mention it makes it hard to get a good kick out of it..or Im still a scrub haha. Heres a video so you can see what I mean. Couldnt kick it over for you, took the video late at night. The bike is an 06 YZ450F.

I tried tightening the bolt that appeared to hold the lever itself onto the starter motor and it didnt help.

So am I crazy or what, trying to get this resolved soon!

Edited by deathrow9

I think it looks loose. but that is just me.

starter.png

I just checked on my bike and that screw is recessed in the lever. I think that is what holds the lever to the mechanism and if it is not in it could cause it to rotate

Edited by antleo

Referring to the image below, the trouble is probably that the screw (22) that holds the kick crank to the starter boss (19) has been removed and improperly replaced, or is broken or worn out, and is allowing the lever to sit too high on the boss to engage the built-in stops on the lever and boss correctly. When taking it apart, watch for the indexing ball and spring (20 & 21).

The stops could also be damaged as opposed to being assembled wrong, in which case you need a new starter lever assembly.

7090_starter.gif

If it isn't that screw, check the stops at the bottom of the kick starter. There is a machined surface that contacts part 19 in gray's post. On my '04 that part of the kick start lever was warn out.

Thanks guys, Ill hit up the yamaha dealer for the screw. How hard is it to dissasemble? Is it just that screw that needs to be removed or the entire assembly?