Fork Swap from YZ to WR

What kind of riding is the OP doing? I did not see in his posts. My MX-Tech tuned "woods" forks work better on a track than in the woods, but still have deflection issues.

I have an 08 wr450. I rode the bike stock for 2 years then decided that I wanted more from the suspension. So I bought the phase 4 kit from SP did the work myself and absolutely loved it. No issues. I came across a screaming deal on some 07 SSS forks and did the swap leaving the forks stock. They were defintely better but not enough better for what I was doing to make me want to pay for another revalve. So I pulled off the 07's and now have the stock wr setup installed again. I have no complaints with how they work for ST riding and AZ rock gardens. I am a light guy so weight was never an issue and I don't race the wr so I don't really need more. If I want a hard hitting fork I jump on my rm250 :smirk:

I want to do the opposite I ride my yz 250 06 in woods and I have an 03 wr450 parts bike complete blown engine 

what would I have to do to put the Wr forks on my yz ?

I want to do the opposite I ride my yz 250 06 in woods and I have an 03 wr450 parts bike complete blown engine 

what would I have to do to put the Wr forks on my yz ?

Even if you put the WR forks on your YZ you really need to do a base re-valve. So you should just do it to your YZ. A DIY kit is not that expensive.

I just put some SSS on my 2007. Based on stock forks, the WR forks aren't even in the same league.

There was a big difference in ride quality between the two IMO. I'm sure you could valve the stock WR forks and get them pretty good, but why not take that $150 to $200, buy some SSS for around 350 to 400. You can sell your old WR for around 150 to 200. I believe that's the best way to go, your a wash in cost and you could find them cheaper. I paid 310 with 25 shipping.

I already have the SSS forks on the yz came stock with them . I have two wr 450s and one is parts bike just noticed just for tight trails that the sss forks are quite a bit stiffer than the wr forks 

I already have the SSS forks on the yz came stock with them . I have two wr 450s and one is parts bike just noticed just for tight trails that the sss forks are quite a bit stiffer than the wr forks

I thought those were sss forks.

I like my revalved and fixed base valve WR forks.

So I'm wondering though if your sss forks could use a good gold valve shim set up for the woods.

Try running less oil and maybe a lighter spring.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1105861-2012-wr450f-diy-woods-revalve-part-ii-forks/#entry11913767

You'll need to do the shock too.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1105136-2012-wr450f-diy-woods-revalve/page-6#entry11914302

All yamaha forks since 2006 are basically the same. Ditto for the shock.

Total cost, less tools, oil and general rebuild parts is about $20 for shims. Yamaha kyb pistons are more than up to the task.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy