Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtrider44

2006 yz450 aftermarket ignition?

8 posts in this topic

I have a 06yz450fstock that has a full Fmf exhaust , dynojet jet kit, and am soon putting a loud mouth Ms intake system on it. I love the bike but I was curious as to if a rev box or ignition booster or any of those type things will do much. I have never tried any of those. Any input would be great.

do those all just plug and play? or are they like a powercommander where u gotta play with the map on the cpu to get it correct?

Some are, some aren't. Vortex makes a couple of different models that let you choose between from 2 to 7 different built-in maps. Not sure about Dyna. I believe they all come with some number of built-in base maps and can be used out of the box, but that may not be true.

The Dyna comes with a stock '06 YZ450 timing map programmed into it. You will have to buy an interface cable ($100) to hook to your computer to reprogram but the software if free from Dyna's website.

The Vortex has 10 different programs pre-installed and a handlebar mounted switch. The switch allows selecting between the stock ignition curve or one of the 10 programs in the box. Which one of the 10 maps is determined by a small rotary switch on the box. There is information on the 10 different curves included with the box. The Vortec can be reprogramed by sending back to MT racing. there is a user reprogramming option available but it costs $800.

The MSD is identical in function to the Vortex unit, but its made by MSD. The Vortex is made in Australia. The MSD is similar to the Dyna as far as reprogramming.

All of these units are considered 'plug-n-play' and can be hooked up and run right out of the box.

Edited by 2grimjim

in your guys openions, what is the best deal for the $$$? Vortex seems like its the best deal but im curious what you think

The MSD is the best deal ($340 retail). All of the features of the Vortex for $100 less and you can reprogram yourself instead of sending it out.