HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sledtrash

Safe operating Temperature

8 posts in this topic

Hey all I searched for a while and I couldn't find anything concrete so here goes. 2006 Yz450 with WR lighting system I have converted my bike to a dual-sport via WR parts exchange, and now for the times when I'm riding the bike in town I want to put a cooling fan on it.

My question is what operating temperature should I limit my bike to. I'm going to put a temp sensor in a water line then run a little red light in my switch cluster behind the headlight, when the bike reach's the temperature and the light comes on I'll have a toggle switch to turn the fan on. I'm looking at temp sensors from Cole Hersee the options are 184-216F, 253-273F, or 190-210. I was thinking the 190-210 because that is what my truck runs the best at... but I wasn't sure if the temp on these bikes should be hotter to allow better running.... But heat is an engines enemy so....

Any thoughts?

Also I saw mention of a spal fan kit? Is this a worthwhile buy or should I just buy a waterproof fan from someplace else?

Yes but it isn't straight water. You should be running 50/50 antifreeze/water

It also isn't at sea level pressures inside the cooling system with a 16 PSI cap on it. A 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol /water at 16 PSI (1.1 bar) at sea level should boil at around 270. Ideally, if you were to have a switch activate a fan on the system, I'd want it on at about 230-240 and off at 200-210 (℉)

So gray, out of the possible temperature settings what should I use? Or is there another company that I could get the setting recommended?

Of those 3, I'd like to pick the highest one, but the high threshold at 273 is a bit much. I guess the 216 if the switch are on at the high listed temp and off at the low. But I think I'd shop a little more. No idea where off the top of my head.