Looking at a 09

Went to look at a 2009 450 special edition today, has about 5 hours and everything is stock. Bike is perfect, engine is still being broken in. The guy just had it sitting in his garage for a while and the carb was a little gummed up, but it fired right up and ran pretty good. Couldn't decide if I wanted it right away cuz he wants $4000 for it...is that too much? Couldnt talk him down on the price at all.

Went to look at a 2009 450 special edition today, has about 5 hours and everything is stock. Bike is perfect, engine is still being broken in. The guy just had it sitting in his garage for a while and the carb was a little gummed up, but it fired right up and ran pretty good. Couldn't decide if I wanted it right away cuz he wants $4000 for it...is that too much? Couldnt talk him down on the price at all.

Smart move on your part. You should be able to find one with all the aftermarket goodies for around 3-3500.

Leave your number with the seller. Maybe in a month or so, when the bike has another 1/4" dust on the seat, he'll call with a significantly lower price.

Edited by YamaLink

I just bought my second '09 yz450f, after I sold my first one. I paid $3900 for my new one, the guy I bought it from had put less than 2 hours on it. The cross-hatch was still visible on the front rotor, not a single mark on the rims, bottom of the seat was prefect, foot-pegs had zero wear, chain slider looked new, could still see the nipples on the tires etc. etc.

I had been looking at a new '11 and it was going to cost me $3000 difference, I could have tried to get my "new" '09 for less but it's hard to deal on price when you've driven 6 hours to look at it. At that point the seller knows you're pretty much going home with it. I'm not big on grinding guys on price either, at $3900 it cost me $460 to go from my old one to the "new" one. So, it was a good deal for me and I don't feel like a dirt bag for grinding him on price...

He didn't lie to me about the condition of the bike when I was on the phone with him, I'll pay a little more if I feel I can trust the seller.

The guy who I sold my old '09 to was a complete D-bag, and acted like one to a T - I don't want to be that guy. YMMV