Uncorking a 2012 WR450F?

Being that its a green sticker, I am assuming that it will be choked up like all green stickers. SInce its fuel injection, what can be done to uncork it? any other manufactuers have green stickered FI bikes, if so what owners do to uncork it?

I wonder if it would be as easy as plugging in a computer and re-programming it?

WIll it have the AIS on it?

Edited by Raider925

My dealer said that it would be a good idea to buy the GYTR slip-on pipe (FMF) and to also have the power output adjusted via the GYTR power tuner ($279). The dealer isn't allowed to make these modifications because they are only supposed to be used in a "closed course" type of environment. I want to purchase the power tuner anyway so I can adjust my bike whenever I want.

Can't wait for March!

There was an earlier thread about the new bike that alluded to the fact that the OEM ECU cannot be reprogrammed with any device whatever. The GYT-R page for the bike makes mention of a Competition ECU, however:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/210/1222/5389/2012/all/10987/0/0/detail.aspx

Yamaha is listing the following 'competition only' parts available for the '12 FI WR450 in the GYT catalog;

Competition ECU (required if using tuner below) 1DX-H59C0-V0-00 no price yet.

'12 WR tuner 33D-H59C0-V1-00

'12 WR hipo cams 1DX-E21F0-V0-00

'12 WR FMF/GYT Power Core muffler 1DX-E47A0-V0-00

'12 WR GYT Ported cylinder head w/cams, valves, etc. No price or part number yet.

Edited by 2grimjim

Question guys.... just sold the old school YZ, and have a question on the new WR-450 I have coming. If I buy the power tuner, will I be able to bypass all of the green-sticker crap, or will I have to purchase the competition ECU to get any real performance gains on the bike?

Thanks in advance.

You will have to buy the competition ECU to be able to use the power tuner. The stock ECU can't be altered in order to satisify the EPA gestapo. Price for the competition ECU hasn't been released yet. Going to have my wife check at work tomorrow (she works at a Yamaha shop) to see what the price and availability is.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it will be easy but expensive. I looked at what an OEM ECU cost for a FI YZ450Fand it was about $350. So if you figure that the WR Competetion ECU will cost the same, then factor in the $300 for the tuner, you are looking at about $650 to tune the bike.

I would check with Eddie he does alot fo the othter FI mapping for the other bikes. He did my 09 CRF450 for 4 $ 50.00 and it was way better for woods riding as well as starting.

Eddie email address.

PM me here or email SSpeedWorks@gmail.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I get lots of PM's and questions of what i offer and what the options are. Here is the run down.

Sisneros Speed Works now offers three ways to get the most out of your 2009 Honda CRF450R. We can tune your bike to suit your bike setup and your riding style (Motocross, Off-road, Supermoto). Want more snap off the bottom, easier starting, or more over-rev? Have you added a pipe, cam, or high compression piston? No problem. We can tune your bike to make the bike perfect for you and we’re not happy unless you’re happy. With either option we can make changes to the provided map until you are satisfied.

Option One:

Send us your stock ECM and have it remapped for $50.00 including ground return shipping. With this option there is no need to have any special equipment. While this takes a little bit longer due to shipping time, this is the most cost effective way to tune your bike. If you are not fully satisfied send us back your ECM and we will make changes. You pay shipping only. If you are in a rush two-day and overnight shipping are available for an additional charge.

Option Two:

Purchase the Honda 2009 CRF450R HRC Fi setting tool for $349.95. With this tool you can hook up to your bikes ECM and make changes to both the fuel and ignition timing. When you purchase this tool from SSW we supply one map for your bike setup and type of riding. This tool can also be tricky to use so we provide guidance over the phone should any computer issues arise. With this tool there is no down time and new maps can be e-mailed and installed in a matter of minutes. Changes to the first map are free if you are not satisfied and additional maps can be purchased for $40.00.

Option Three:

Purchase the Dynojet Powercommander Five for $349.95. With this tool installed on your bike you can make changes to fueling straight from an easy to use laptop interface. When you purchase this tool from SSW we supply one map for your bike setup and type of riding. This tool also offers the option to add additional accessories such as an auto-tune module and map selection switch letting you switch between two maps on the fly. With the accessories the bike can tune itself in real-time and you have the ability to data log air fuel ratio and throttle position. This setup is for serious riders looking to take it to the next level. Additionally, this option is likely to offer the greatest support from companies supplying aftermarket parts. Dynojet is also likely to host a database of maps for different pipes and engine configurations on their website. Included with this option is a free ignition timing adjustment to your stock ECM. You pay shipping only.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it will be easy but expensive. I looked at what an OEM ECU cost for a FI YZ450Fand it was about $350. So if you figure that the WR Competetion ECU will cost the same, then factor in the $300 for the tuner, you are looking at about $650 to tune the bike.

The WR tuner is the same as the YZ tuner. The old part number for the YZ tuner superceeds to the same part as the WR tuner.

The tuner can be had for as cheap as $210 (new) if you do a little checking.

I'm still waiting to hear about the competition ECU. Yamaha still doesn't list any info on it or have a part fisch for the '12, even on their internal website. After a little talking with some inside folks, there may still be the possibility of a mod on the stock ECU that allows performance mods. Will know a little more about the new ECU and possible mods next week.

Cross your fingers!

I would check with Eddie he does alot fo the othter FI mapping for the other bikes. He did my 09 CRF450 for 4 $ 50.00 and it was way better for woods riding as well as starting.

Eddie email address.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I get lots of PM's and questions of what i offer and what the options are. Here is the run down.

Sisneros Speed Works now offers three ways to get the most out of your 2009 Honda CRF450R. We can tune your bike to suit your bike setup and your riding style (Motocross, Off-road, Supermoto). Want more snap off the bottom, easier starting, or more over-rev? Have you added a pipe, cam, or high compression piston? No problem. We can tune your bike to make the bike perfect for you and we’re not happy unless you’re happy. With either option we can make changes to the provided map until you are satisfied.

Option One:

Send us your stock ECM and have it remapped for $50.00 including ground return shipping. With this option there is no need to have any special equipment. While this takes a little bit longer due to shipping time, this is the most cost effective way to tune your bike. If you are not fully satisfied send us back your ECM and we will make changes. You pay shipping only. If you are in a rush two-day and overnight shipping are available for an additional charge.

Option Two:

Purchase the Honda 2009 CRF450R HRC Fi setting tool for $349.95. With this tool you can hook up to your bikes ECM and make changes to both the fuel and ignition timing. When you purchase this tool from SSW we supply one map for your bike setup and type of riding. This tool can also be tricky to use so we provide guidance over the phone should any computer issues arise. With this tool there is no down time and new maps can be e-mailed and installed in a matter of minutes. Changes to the first map are free if you are not satisfied and additional maps can be purchased for $40.00.

Option Three:

Purchase the Dynojet Powercommander Five for $349.95. With this tool installed on your bike you can make changes to fueling straight from an easy to use laptop interface. When you purchase this tool from SSW we supply one map for your bike setup and type of riding. This tool also offers the option to add additional accessories such as an auto-tune module and map selection switch letting you switch between two maps on the fly. With the accessories the bike can tune itself in real-time and you have the ability to data log air fuel ratio and throttle position. This setup is for serious riders looking to take it to the next level. Additionally, this option is likely to offer the greatest support from companies supplying aftermarket parts. Dynojet is also likely to host a database of maps for different pipes and engine configurations on their website. Included with this option is a free ignition timing adjustment to your stock ECM. You pay shipping only.

Absolutely none of this has to do with the 2012 FI WR450.

There aren't even any of these bikes it the country yet so I don't know how anyone can do any remapping.

I'm sure Dynojet and others will offer products for the WR in the near future but there will most likely be a lag from the time the bikes hit the dealers to when these aftermarket parts become available. But as it stands now, there is nothing available except Yamaha's GYT offerings.

My guess is that the FI system used is probably going to be real similar to the system used on the YFZ 450 and there is a Power Commander for the YFZ. But I wouldn't risk trying the YFZ Power Commander on the WR just yet.

Edited by 2grimjim

The WR tuner is the same as the YZ tuner. The old part number for the YZ tuner superceeds to the same part as the WR tuner.

The tuner can be had for as cheap as $210 (new) if you do a little checking.

I'm still waiting to hear about the competition ECU. Yamaha still doesn't list any info on it or have a part fisch for the '12, even on their internal website. After a little talking with some inside folks, there may still be the possibility of a mod on the stock ECU that allows performance mods. Will know a little more about the new ECU and possible mods next week.

Cross your fingers!

Thanks for checking on this Jim. I will dig for some info at my dealer tomorrow as well, and we'll "compare notes".

Alright fellas, I stopped by the dealer today and talked to the owner. He's interested in the new WR for himself also, so he's already been bugging the Yamaha rep for some answers on how to uncork this machine and he said Yamaha is being very tight-lipped about anything to do with bypassing the EPA stuff on this bike. The rep told him it runs very well as-is (typical rep speak) and is very fuel efficient with the stock fuel mapping.

Basically the dealer said he was just going to have to wait until March so he can get a bike in stock and figure out what all he can do with it.

Here is an interesting interview I found today, talking about the European version of the new WR-450F, apparently the ECU has 2 sections, one specified for on-road use, and the other alternate spec that can be modified by the power tuner. It says the bike can be tuned anywhere from a "Fire-breathing wheelie monster" to a "mud tractor". Hopefully the US version has this same dual section ECU.

http://www.transmoto.com.au/publish/bikes/9769894/INSIDE-THE-2012-WR450F's-DEVELOPMENT

Edited by BoiseBee

• 1 month later...

Talked to the regional Yamaha tech rep a couple of days ago and it looks like if you intend to do anything to the new FI WR, you have to buy the performance ECU. Doesn't look like there will be any kind of workaround with the stock ECU. Yamaha was stuck with doing this to stay out of the crosshairs of the EPA. Yamaha didn't want to have the same problem that Suzuki had with the RMX450Z and headaches they have with the EPA.

The good thing is the GYT tuner is the same for the YZ and WR.

There is still no word on the price for the performance ECU or when they will be available. Supposedly, they will be avaiable by the time the bikes hit the dealers.

Wow thats alot cheaper than I was expecting. So it will be around $350 with the ECU and Programmer to uncork the bike.

WIll it have a AIS now that its FI? Looking at the pics it doesnt look like it has it.

Yeah, i was worried too... when the programmable ECU came out for the YZF-450 quad a couple years ago it was $350 alone.

Besides the power tuner and programmable ECU, I would imagine the FMF pipe would be a serious consideration for uncorking the bike, or the performance insert for the stock pipe at the very minimum. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/349/1222/5389/all/1/10985/0/detail.aspx

• 3 months later...

Hey, I've just puchased a new 2012 wr450f and i'm gathering from research and from riding the throttle is restricted by a throttle stop screw. I'm assuming this acts as the rev limiter. Can anyone provide me with where this is located so I can remove it. Thanks

Hey, I've just puchased a new 2012 wr450f and i'm gathering from research and from riding the throttle is restricted by a throttle stop screw. I'm assuming this acts as the rev limiter. Can anyone provide me with where this is located so I can remove it. Thanks

Follow the throttle cables to the right side of the engine. There is a housing on the throttle body just behind the frame, the screw is on the bottom of the housing.