Woods bike - Yz450f 11 - Ktm 450 12 exc - Ktm 300??

I would believe that you are quicker on the WR. I think I would possibly be to. But for me it's not about racing or been quicker. It's the buzz I get from riding the bike. Jumping straight off a YZ450F and onto a KTM 450 xcw or the WR I am concerned I will feel flat due to the rather smooth power delivery and plush ride. I imagine I would just get used to this type of power delivery and adapt. No doubt these bikes are much easier in the trickier stuff. There is a happy medium here somewhere.

The day I got the WR home and rode it (right off the dealer floor) I was very disappointed in the power as it was about on par with the 250F I used to have minus the snap. After doing the free mods, and drilling out the baffles in the muffler (still free just not commonly associated with the normal free mods) the bike is a completely different animal. Still does not have the bark that the YZ did, but for me, speed is the thrill. Not actual mph, but knowing that I am pushing myself as much as I can for any given terrain. I just couldn't do that with the YZ most of the time because the suspension beat me up and the instant power tired me out quickly. It was more fun to fool around on though, I'll give it that.

The steep technical hills are still a bit tricky without the rekluse because it is very easy to stall. But with it you can crawl if you want to (with good balance) however It will still stall occasionally with the rekluse its just the nature of the engine design but with proper setup and knowing when those rare times are to actually use the clutch lever you get pretty used to it and it doesn't happen much. It may not be the easiest bike for those types of hills but I've never ridden a "woods" bike so I can't comment.

What weight flywheel did you go?

The steep technical hills are still a bit tricky without the rekluse because it is very easy to stall. But with it you can crawl if you want to (with good balance) however It will still stall occasionally with the rekluse its just the nature of the engine design but with proper setup and knowing when those rare times are to actually use the clutch lever you get pretty used to it and it doesn't happen much. It may not be the easiest bike for those types of hills but I've never ridden a "woods" bike so I can't comment.

I found the motor had a real tendancy to stall just off-idle in certain situations, bit of a big deal for the woods guys, not so much for the MXers Turning the idle up to 2200 or so helps a ton. Dont like the high idle but :smirk:

Tried the woods map in the tuning sticky on my 12 and found it worked pretty well, better than the stock map in the slime. Cant wait till summer.

I've got an '08 YZ450f setup for woods. I had the chance to ride a KTM 300 and loved it. And the newer 300s have electric start. My vote is for the 300.

What weight flywheel did you go?

theres only 1 available and its a GYTR 4.4oz. Doesn't sound like much but due to the location of the weight it acrtually adds more inertia than other model flywheels with heavier weight.