2006 wr450f trade - should i do it?

Hey guys,

I havent really ever posted on this site, so if I'm in the wrong place just let me know.

I had a question - I have a 2006 kx250f in awesome condition (except rear tire has about 50% tread and and fork seals are leaking some) with title. It starts right up and runs strong. It has a jd jet kit, pro circuit slip on, newer graphics, a works connection skid plate, and has about 15 hours on new piston and rings. I have it up for trade/sale and have someone interested in trading me a 2006 wr450f with no title. I would also have to add $400 cash along with my kx250f. The wr450f has a fmf slip on, renthal bars, and excel rims, but other than that he says its stock. He also says it has been sitting for awhile, as its not the right bike for his riding style, and now it won't run with the choke off. He says if the choke is on (out 1/4 or so to be specific) it will run fine. He says its starving for fuel and running lean, and the header pipe gets bright red when the bike is warm. Apparently its getting worse witht he cold weather. He says the valves are in spec, no engine knocking or leaks, suspension and bushings are tight, and the bike looks good in the pictures he sent me. Regarding the issue with the bike not idling/running properly with the choke off, I did some research and think all it would need is a good carb cleaning and maybe a jet kit to replace the pilot jet? And while i'm doing that I could do the gray wire mod, put the holes in the airbox, remove the throttle stop and intake silencer, and possibly the ais removal kit and any other "free mods" that I missed, and hopefully have a great running bike.

But what i was wondering is, do you think that rejetting and cleaning the carb will fix the issues with the bike? And if so, should I do this trade? I was also curious if I bought the ais removal kit, does that include the pieces I would get from a jd jet kit? So all I would need is the ais removal kit? It says it has the pilot jet included. I guess I was somewhat confused about what the ais kit really is.

thanks alot for any advice

ais removal kit from yamaha blocks off the smog crap so you can delete it. it comes with a yz needle too. the issue you are describing with the running condition is the same issue i have with mine right now. jetting the bike should solve the issue. dont forget the brass fuel screw to go with it.

as far as the bike itself...its heavy, but other than that i have zero complaints. love the power and the usability. and they are bulletproof. if you are looking for a big bore thumper trail bike, the wr450 is very hard to beat. you can't go wrong. :smirk:

Yes, from the sounds of it, a good carb cleaning and rejetting will fix the issue. They come lean from the factory, and he has installed a pipe which would lean it out even more. Good luck! Maniac

thanks for the replies guys. So do you think this is a fair trade or one that is in my favor? my 06' kx250f with title plus $400 for his 06' wr450f with no title? I will have to rejet his bike too, but my bike requires a new front tube and rear tire and new fork seals. And what is the issue with not having a title? Will this make it harder for me to sell in the future? Might it possibly be stolen? He did say it came from west virginia and apprently they dont always give titles to dirtbikes there?

thanks

no title is a pass for me

is that because you are unsure if its stolen or not? I feel like alot of dirtbikes are missing titles because they are bought and sold alot. I could be wrong. The missing title is the only thing holding me back, but i really want a wr!

I love my wr, but the title thing would steer me clear.. could be stolen, could be it never got paid off, still technically stolen.. but its your call, maybe you Can have the highway patrol run the numbers to see if its ok, if it is, I would do it.

For me it would be an easy decision. No title no trade. A 2006 is too new to be missing a title in my opinion. It would be lousy if it was never paid off and the bank hunts it down and takes it from you. I heard some horror stories of the that happening.

No title, no deal. Simple as that.

Is it plated? If so he could get a duplicate title. I have not seen a WR come with a title new. I had to make mine street legal and apply for a title. and same for my buddies. what kind of riding are you going to do? My WR isn't great at the track. but on the rocky trails here it's awesome. How beat up is it? did any maintenance ever get done? I love my 06 WR450 but the aluminum frame 09 my buddy has feels lighter on the trail. steel frame is easier to work on. you could always do a title search or vin search with the dmv. How well do you know the guy?

Its not plated and he doesnt have any original paperwork, like the MCO or anything. I have had 6 bikes and I think only one of them had no paperwork, but i had a bill of sale typed up. Im only gonna be riding the bike on trails and such, im not gonna make it street legal, but it would be nice if he had some original paperwork like the mco so that I could prove its mine. But maybe if I print out an official bill of sale and include both of our names, the vin, make and model of bike, the date, amount paid, and signatures it will be good enough if there is any trouble down the road? And i don't know the guy personally, but from the pictures he sent me it looks like the bike is in good condition (except for the idling/jetting problem and not running unless the choke is on as mentioned above) and his house/surroundings look pretty nice. That's always something I look for. So i would be taking a gamble, which is why im unsure what to do.

but i guess ill have to agree with you guys and skip on this deal, it is shady not having a title

I've bought and sold quite a few dirt bike without titles or any sort of regestration without an issue. Must be a coast thing as I haven't had any issues, nor is there any need for a "title" in my area of the country.

YMMV, however.

Mike

yea i mean i'm not going to need a title because I wont be making it street legal, it would just be nice to have some form of original paperwork like a manufacturers certificate of origin or something to prove its mine, but i've some other people tell me I have no need for anything but a bill of sale if i'm not plating it or making it road legal. if i go through with the deal, it would be this sunday.

but do you guys think that the trade is in my favor? my 06' kx250f with title (needs front tube and fork seals are leaking - but its in amazing condition) plus $400 cash for the 06' wr450f with no title, but bill of sale, in good condition and all it needs is a good carb cleaning/rejetting (i'm assuming)?

The only good trade is a trade that gives you what you want. Honestly, a 250 crosser is about as different than a WR450 as you can get. So, if the WR suits your needs better then you are ahead. If not, don't do it.

As far as the $400 added, I'd say try for even and split the difference at $200 depending on condition. Pictures do NOT tell the whole story so until you see it in person I'd not agree to anything. Dirt bikes especially can get beat beyond recognition in a year or 2 and do not take well to low maintenance, at least compared to a street bike.

I've seen 3 year old dirt bikes I wouldn't give $500 for that looked good in pictures but up close in person where trashed. You're talking about two 6 year old bikes here. On the other hand, my old 00 CR250 was completely mint and I gave that away at $1800 when most were going in the $1200-1400 range and I should have sold it for $2200.

It's only a good deal if it's a deal for you.

Mike

I've bought and sold quite a few dirt bike without titles or any sort of regestration without an issue. Must be a coast thing as I haven't had any issues, nor is there any need for a "title" in my area of the country.

YMMV, however.

Mike

Haven't purchased a bike in a state that a title wasn't issued. In WA, getting a bike registered and offroad permit without a title can be a nightmare. In OR, I didn't need a title to get to get an OHV tag. (Much simpler) But what you are not considering is that if the bike was never paid off, and there is still a lien on the bike, it can be repo'd from you. There are stories on TT from guys who have purchased a bike without a title, then had the bike repo'd from them when the bank found out where it was located. The poor guys that put they're hard earned money into a bike they purchased without a title couldn't do much of anything about it. They were just a$$ed out of a bike and they're $$$. Just make sure you really check out the owner history of the bike, run the numbers to make sure it was not stolen or still has a lien. Then, if you don't care about lower resale, or the possibility of laws changing requiring a title to get OHV tabs and such, or the fact that you may move to a state someday that requires a title, then I guess it's simply up to how bad you really want it.

It's simple, have chp or dmv do a title check, it should show up if it was stolen from a private party or a bank. Accept the trade on condition of inspecting the bike first.

hey so i ran the VIN and it was fine, and met with the guy today and he had it ran through the police when he first bought it. He also had it serviced by yamaha thursday and they put a new pilot jet in it, checked compression, checked valves and ignition, rebuilt forks, and changed the oil and oil filters. They said it was still like a new motor. I ended up going through with the sale, the guy seemed like a real nice person, had an official bill of sale from his buddy who is a notary filled out and signed. I did end up adding $500 on top of my bike since I no longer had to do the carb cleaning and rejetting etc myself (even though I didnt ask him to have it done). And after checking the VIN the bike is an 05, not an 06 which I thought.

but overall im happy with the bike. Its very powerful. One thing I did notice is that it hesitates alittle when starting off..like I can't just crack the throttle in first and go, I have to ease into it then crack it. The shop told the guy he should raise a clip inside the carb up a notch to give the bike more fuel? maybe this will help? it also backfires after accelerating quite a bit. Hope these arent bad issues.

Congrats on your new bike!:smirk: It's lean in the pilot circuit if it backfires on decel when throttle is closed. Needs the pilot screw opened more and or a larger pilot jet. Try raising the needle like they said and see what that does. I have a hesitation also but haven't tried to fix it as its ok when warm.

Edited by swolf
Haven't purchased a bike in a state that a title wasn't issued. In WA, getting a bike registered and offroad permit without a title can be a nightmare. In OR, I didn't need a title to get to get an OHV tag. (Much simpler) But what you are not considering is that if the bike was never paid off, and there is still a lien on the bike, it can be repo'd from you. There are stories on TT from guys who have purchased a bike without a title, then had the bike repo'd from them when the bank found out where it was located. The poor guys that put they're hard earned money into a bike they purchased without a title couldn't do much of anything about it. They were just a$$ed out of a bike and they're $$$. Just make sure you really check out the owner history of the bike, run the numbers to make sure it was not stolen or still has a lien. Then, if you don't care about lower resale, or the possibility of laws changing requiring a title to get OHV tabs and such, or the fact that you may move to a state someday that requires a title, then I guess it's simply up to how bad you really want it.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota and Michigan do not issue titles with dirt bikes nor do they title them as dirt bikes.

Again, some states do but it's not a universal thing. Which was my point.

OP, the bike just needs to be dialed in carb wise. These are somewhat tricky beast to get done right unless you or your mechanic know what they are doing but when they do, it'll run quite well.

Read the stickies, you'll learn all you need to know. search if you have any questions.

And enjoy!!

Mike