Electrical problem 05 450f

I have a 05 450f that has been wrecking stators. I have checked all grounds and there all good. Any body heard of this problem with this bike???

Wrecking them how? Is the electrical system stock or modified? OEM or aftermarket stators?

Wrecking them how? Is the electrical system stock or modified? OEM or aftermarket stators?

System is stock, but aftermarket stator. I put a new one in and bike starts right up. Runs fine, and then after few hours it starts harder and harder until you have to pull start it. It then misses and backfires. I diagnose it according to how repair manual says with a OHM meter, always coming back to the stator. I would try OEM one, but don't feel like wasting $300 if something else is causing it.

Get a low hour used oem one on ebay. You can get a nice clean one from a running bike for like $75.

Aftermarket stators for the '03-'05 bikes that are rewound for lights are absolutely notorious for their lack of reliability.

How many stators have you been through? Have you checked the wiring beyond the stator to see if its grounded shorted anywhere? Maybe coil issue. And what portion of the stator ass't is going out the ac windings or the pickup windings?

Aftermarket stators for the '03-'05 bikes that are rewound for lights are absolutely notorious for their lack of reliability.

I've been using two Moose stators for the last six years on two different bikes. You are right, they aren't quite the quality as the OEM piece, but neither of them has failed. The older of the two was made 10 years ago and is a better qualty piece.

I haven't seen a new one in a few years, maybe they have gone way downhill in quality.

I think the biggest problem is with the lighting coil and how the lighting circuit is being wired by the owners. On both of mine, I run a floating ground to a full wave bridge rectifier/regulator (like Trail Techs), a capacitor, and a 10 amp fuse.

Well, you've been lucky, I guess. I know another guy who's been through at least 4 stators of two brands on his street legal YZ450 SM. He was running battery lighting last I saw.

Well, you've been lucky, I guess. I know another guy who's been through at least 4 stators of two brands on his street legal YZ450 SM. He was running battery lighting last I saw.

Is he burning up the lighting coil, the charge coil (CDI), or the pickup coil?

Is he burning up the lighting coil, the charge coil (CDI), or the pickup coil?
Either the lights or the ignition, not the trigger.