HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWIGIN

YZ426 electrical question

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm a long time lurker on this site trying to learn more about the 426 motors. I am a quad guy who is finally building a 426 for my hybrid quad.

My question is, is there any specific year wiring harness, coil, flywheel, stator, or CODI box that would be considered better then any other year?

I have a 2000 YZ426 motor but it has no flywheel or stator and since I need to buy all of the above I want to get the best year electrical/ignition system if there is one.

Hope that all made sense

Thanks

The parts that will physically fit your engine are as follows;

All '98-'02 YZ and WR 250/400/426 stators and flywheels, wiring harnesses.

All '98-'02 YZ and WR 400/426 CDI's (timing maps for the 250 CDI are wrong for the 400/426)

Since the WR flywheels are bigger than the YZ (but not where it mounts to tha crank)you must use a WR flywheel with a WR stator or YZ flywheel with YZ stator.

If you are planning on using the engine you have in a 4 wheeler or something other than a motorcycle, don't expect the tranny to last long.

Thanks for the great info!

I have friends who are still running 98 and 99 YZ400 bottom ends in there race quads, they do hold up better then I would have ever thought. These quads were built when the 400 motors were new so they have been tested enough for me.

Thanks for the great info!

I have friends who are still running 98 and 99 YZ400 bottom ends in there race quads, they do hold up better then I would have ever thought. These quads were built when the 400 motors were new so they have been tested enough for me.

When Yamaha came out with the YFZ450 in '04 it was a completely new transmission and cases. The gear set was 16mm wider yet owners still manage to grenade them.

Yeah I know about the quads, maybe being in our upper 30s and having decades of track time adds up to knowing how to shift right...lol

I hear what your saying but I have no worries. :bonk: