HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DBOBYZ450

YZ450f 2007

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys sorry if this is already on here but i searched and couldnt find it

I have a 07 yz450

i had stalling problems and took my bike to hinshaws, the guy said to me that it was my jetting, but as i thought, i got a call today and my exaust timming was off 5 teeth, my intake was off by two teeth(they jumped), my chain is toast and he said he didnt know what else may be bad.

now heres my dilema , i was trying to not spend over 800 but to have them fix it , it will be 800-1200+

i can rebuild the top end myself , which i decided to do, only to save the$$$

SO is there a full rebuild kit i can buy,how much should it cost, what is each part i need to do a full rebuild if there is not a kit or do you guys think that i wont need it and will only need valves and chain?

also a dumb question is there a difference between a yz450f and the yz450fw

thanks for help, again sorry if its already spoken of

You start with a new timing chain and tensioner and go from there. If there was no valve contact, then you won't need anything else, but you won't know until you get to that point.

now heres my dilema , i was trying to not spend over 800 but to have them fix it

i can rebuild the top end myself , which i decided to do, only to save the$$$

SO is there a full rebuild kit i can buy,how much should it cost, what is each part i need to do a full rebuild if there is not a kit or do you guys think that i wont need it and will only need valves and chain?

No "kits" that I know of. If your timing was that far off, it's likely you will have a bent valve. All the top end parts you need (valves, piston, camchain/tensioner, piston/rings, and gaskets can be had for less than $800 if you plan on doing the work yourself.

You will have to have a competent machinist cut the valve seats before installing the new valves, and closely inspect for a cracked valve guide if you do have a bent valve.

also a dumb question is there a difference between a yz450f and the yz450fw

Nothing different

thanks, i find it stupid the dont sell a kit when people do it them selves all the time.

ive rebuilt many of car motors(sb350s,4bangers, small motors) just not a bike, i figured id have bad valves and posibly wear on the top of my piston.

i had my bike for only 6 months and i bought it on cl with"a new top end" went on a week trip and this happend, gotta love unhelpful people tryin to make a buck off a dumbass like me jumpin at the bit for a thumper instead of my old 2stroke

The trailing character is the year model designator. YZ450FW is the 2007 YZ450. YZ450FR was an '03, YZ450FS was the '04, and so on. "U" isn't used so as to avoid confusion with "V".