XR650R idle

Ok, so I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to carb setup, but my XR650R is doing something weird.

Sometimes once the bike is warm, the idle won't drop back down to 1200-1300 rpm when I close the throttle. It'll stay up around 2500 or 2800rpm. This is alarming when entering a corner. Here's the weird part - it did this with both the stock carb, and the eddlebrock I just stuck on there. With the stock carb, I could get it to drop down sometimes by blipping the throttle, but the hotter the engine, the less likely this was to work - with the eddlbrock it always works - supposedly because it's a pumper carb?

The bike was uncorked by who knows way back when. I've had the bike a year now, and it's always been like this. What do I need to look for to deal with this?

Thanks,

Is the throttle cable hanging up? sounds like it. You can remove it and hang it up and spray some wd-40 or some other lulbe down the cable and let it run down the length of the cable. This will free it up if it is sticking for corrision. But if it is frayed inside the sleeve, replace it. thats what I would try first.

did you check the throttle tube at the grip. I have seen a sticking probe there. rare but I have saw it ..just something to look at. with you changing cables. Carbs and still the same problem. all that is left is the throttle tube or the cable connection at the tube. that's what I would look at next.

My bike has done this since I bought it new in Nov. 1999, and it isn't the cables. :bonk: I have always just considered it a quirk and adapted by manually adjusting the idle screw after it has warmed up. Some people will leave it set that way, but I find that the bike is easier to start when it's cold if the idle screw has been turned back up a bit, so I try to remember to put it back when I put the bike away for the day, so it will idle again after the first start of the day when it's cold .

When you read all the motorcycle maint for dummy stuff when you start out they suggest looking for air leaks between carb and head - i.e. manifold. We've all presumably uncorked our bikes, so could that have something to do with it? XRs only has an aftermarket manifold we could try...

No chance of any other kind of leak that yall have seen? Intake valve cover gasket? Head gasket? Anything?

I'll put this out there,,Whether it could be the cause I don't know.

My 89 XR600 has a hanging idle problem,,Yesterday I went up in both Main and Pilot from 162/62 to 165/65 as I suspected the bike was running lean,,I took it for a 5 minute test ride and the hanging idle appears to be better after the change,,I did nothing else to the carb but change the jets,,I'm wondering if a lean condition may have something to do with the problem.,Seems odd to me that it would but there you go,,May go up to 168/68 in the next day or so and see if it improves it some more.,

I've checked this carb (new carb kit fitted) and cabling over inside and out a dozen times since I imported it used from the States trying to find why the idles hanging up,,No joy till now,.The bike also before the jet change had a habit of just coughing and dying at idle for seemingly no reason,,(I suspected an electrical short or some such was causing it) ,,that also appears to be not happening any more.,During my 120k test ride a week or so back I also noticed that it seemed to have a hesitation when you were cruising along as though something was giving out an intermittent electrical short,,that also appears to be gone or if anything in my short 5 minute test ride yesterday to be better,.Really need to take it for a good half hour spin to get everything electrical up to temperature to say the jet change has it fixed for sure but the weathers too crap here at the moment to do it.,

Edited by Horri

I have 2 XR-R's and this happens with both of my bikes. Both are uncorked, and the pilot and needle are the same on both bikes (68s & B53E). The only difference is the Main Jet 170 (w/stock Exhaust) vs. 172 (w/Full Big Gun System) , and I normally ride at 4500-8000+ feet elev. No leaks, no popping or either bike, and they both run strong.

I wouldn't call the problem a "Hanging Idle", because nothing is hanging... at least on my bikes, it is just that the idle speed increases as the bike warms up. If I leave the idle adjusted for a warm bike, it is a lot more difficult to start when cold. I have just been living with it and adjusting the idle screw as needed.

I'll be interested to see if you find a solution. Probably worth posting in the Intake/Jetting Forum to see if Eddie has an answer. If you find a solution, post back here in this thread for archive/future search purposes.

My bike has been doing the same thing for a year or so now, and i cant work out what it is.

A mate of suggested checking the diaphragm in the side of the carbie, as a hole would produce this kind of behaviour. I checked mine and its all fine. Not sure what the next step is, so google brought me here, I hope we can find the problem soon.

When my XR650R gets hot (running temp), it will idle up a lot, i have to clutch it to bring it back down to proper idle 1400 rpm, and without touching the gas, it will slowly creep the rpm up again. This is not cool when trying to get home from work in traffic and at lights. Cables and throttle tube all ok. Another suggestion was the ring may be worn. Well this maybe true as my big girl has clocked over 50,000 km but still has a good amount of compression an still has a lot of balls( can still pick the front wheel up in 3rd gear). So i dont think it would be the rings( and it dosent blow smoke). My next step was to try a new carb, but Brownriggi said he tryed new carb, so back to the drawing board, I will let you know if i find any more out on this problem.

Yep..It's a b,,,,,,r...Beats me what's going on as I've a new carb kit in my 89 XR600 and all the cables/actuating arms etc appear fine,,Still the idle hangs up,,Sort of stumpted on it at present.,Had the carb strpped down about 10 times checking for burrs etc and the correct orientation of all internal parts,,found nothing really amiss anywhere.,No wonder the joker I purchased it off Ebay wanted rid of it.,,Was a wrecker actually so maybe he didn't know ir was defective with this hanging idle thing.,I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Horri

It sounds like my problem may be slightly different than what you guys are describing. On mine, the idle speed goes up as it gets warm, but goosing the throttle or pulling the clutch won't change it. I simply adjust the idle screw, and I'm good to go until I the next time I ride.

<<Has anyone tried AJCV fix? (air jet cut off valve)>>

http://www.xr650rforum.com/t711-xr650r-carb-mods-posted-herexr650r-carburetor-fix-go

Nope but I see your question over there and await someone to answer,,Read this ..

http://www.xr650rforum.com/t1065-rich-or-lean

Go down to the second to last post where he talks about the needle..I lowered mine the other day as she was running a wee bit rich so it was either lower the needle or go back from the 168 to the 165 main..I chose to lower the needle and took her for a test ride today and the idles definitely not hanging up the same,,I'm two down from top with the clip and may go to the first from top for the clip..,Notice my carb's also missing the plastic anti slosh type thing that fits around the main jet tube,,going to get one of them sometime as well and see if it makes things better,,It's not bad now but the hand operated idle adjuster on the side of the carb is a very fine adjustment between too high an idle and practically no idle at all,,

Forget that it's a 650R they are talking about,,The Carb is practically the same as the 600R so the same principals should apply.,

Edited by Horri

I lowered my needle B53E this morning to the 1st (top) clip. It helped more than anything else has, but it's still not perfect.

Did you check it for scratching or burring right where it goes through the top of the slide (just below the clip area),,Noticed my new one,,(only been in a week or so) had some scratching around there so I cleaned her up with a bit of 220 grit,,also I gave the end of the throttle actuating arm a sand at the same time..That's the part which goes right through the top of the carb and the cables and spring are attached,,Anyone answered your other query over there yet??,,Forum looks kinda dead so I wouldn't expect much action on questions.,