02 cr250 piston and size

hi there i want to rebuild the topend in my bike. is there anyway to find out what size piston i need rather than taking it to honda and getting robbed. i can see them charging me to measure the cylinder. and then charging me 200 dollars for a oem honda crap piston. and i dont wanna buy some crazy tool to measure it myself that i dont know how to use. is there any markings on the piston that will help me. maybe i just have to get robbed by celigh honda like i have many times. the last time i went there they charged me 60 dollars for brake pads that barly lasted 1 mounth. does anyone have any advice that may help me. ... no smart ass comments please. thanks guys cheers!

If you have not had the cylinder bored out and a bigger than stock piston put in, there should be an "A" or "B" stamped somewhere on the piston. One is slightly larger than the other. Usually when ordering a new piston you can pick between an A or B size. This is the way my CR125 was when I done the topend in it. Im assuming the 250 is the same.

If you want it to last then you MEASURE THE BORE! that is how to determine the size of the piston. Take it to your local dealer and ask them to measure the bore for you.

also if the bore is not round, you will need to fix that. you also check that while measuring the bore.

if you want to guess go for it. But expect problems if you guess wrong.

First step- Take it to a auto or motorcycle machine shop and have them measure the bore of the cylinder. They will do it a lot cheaper than the Honda dealer. Basically, just find any shop that bores cylinders and they will be able to give you the measurements you need.

You can figure out which piston you need after that.

this is how yu should do it. my opinion only.

inspect your cylinder for wear and marks that is big enough that might catch your nail.

if cylinder is good looking then id look at the left side-rear bolt location where it will be stamped an A or B.

you can also look under the cylinder just under the part of where the reed cage would be (but outside of it). there will also be an A or B.

then follow that size with the piston purchase.

if you go cast. you may use A or B on on that "A" cylinder. if the cylinder is a "B" then use a B or C (might work with a D size) piston.

if you go forged: id suggest to use the corresponding size according to cylinder letter. that way youll have good clearance for the forged piston`s repid expansion.

Edited by hardhitwarrior
too much wrong spelling _:)

this is how yu should do it. my opinion only.

inspect your cylinder for wear and marks that is big enough that might catch your nail.

if cylinder is good looking then id look at the left side-rear bolt location where it will be stamped an A or B.

you can also look under the cylinder just under the part of where the reed cage would be (but outside of it). there will also be an A or B.

then follow that size with the piston purchase.

if you go cast. you may use A or B on on that "A" cylinder. if the cylinder is a "B" then use a B or C (might work with a D size) piston.

if you go forged: id suggest to use the corresponding size according to cylinder letter. that way youll have good clearance for the forged piston`s repid expansion.

kool thanks