HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OZ DRZ

is the WR450F really just a trail bike?

33 posts in this topic

its a bit light hearted but

has a few comments from WR reviews on the net, one of them claims the WR is really more of a trail bike than a serious dirt bike like the katos.

never owned a kato so dont know how true this is, but to me the WR is definitely way more high performance than a DRZ or similar. and while i'm finding it pretty bullet proof it definitely wants more oil changes than a DRZ.

anyone owned a WR and kato? just wondering if theres all that big a difference...

I've been racing WR's for years at an expert level and have won a series and a lot of races.... I really don't get the mass attraction to the KTM's other than it's a status thing... I think they're great bikes but I'd rather be on a Yamaha on the start line over any other brand:thumbsup:

its a bit light hearted but
has a few comments from WR reviews on the net, one of them claims the WR is really more of a trail bike than a serious dirt bike like the katos.

never owned a kato so dont know how true this is, but to me the WR is definitely way more high performance than a DRZ or similar. and while i'm finding it pretty bullet proof it definitely wants more oil changes than a DRZ.

anyone owned a WR and kato? just wondering if theres all that big a difference...

Don't believe any B.S. that the WR450 (or even thr DRZ400 for that matter) isn't a race capable machine. In the right hands, either one of these machines can be very competetitive.

Hell, I remember when Al Baker was smoking everyone in Baja in the 70's riding a C&J framed Honda XL350. And who can forget Johnny Campbell mopping up Baja on a (gag!) XR600!

The WR is definitely above DRZs on the performance scale, but gives away some to the Katooms. However, It is also right in the middle of these three in the reliability scale also (IMO) with KTM way below the WR and the DRZ just slightly above.

Yes it's just a trail bike. If you want to go fast look elsewhere...

Although the new one looks more promising with real suspension.

Going fast on a dirtbike a lot more than the bike. If you have no talent or ability, you're going to get smoked, no matter how trick your bike is.

Going fast on a dirtbike a lot more than the bike. If you have no talent or ability, you're going to get smoked, no matter how trick your bike is.

And here I thought the bike rode itself.

Guess I should have said...if you are a fast rider you will outride the limits of the bike...especially the shitty suspension. I had this problem. Sure I could ride it fast but it was more work than a better bike and downright dangerous at times with the inferior suspension and handling. It was a real solid bike though and would be good for an old fat guy to putt around after his kids.

Is that better?

And here I thought the bike rode itself.

Guess I should have said...if you are a fast rider you will outride the limits of the bike...especially the shitty suspension. I had this problem. Sure I could ride it fast but it was more work than a better bike and downright dangerous at times with the inferior suspension and handling. It was a real solid bike though and would be good for an old fat guy to putt around after his kids.

Is that better?

I know a few old fat guys that are pretty damn fast on their WR's and DRZ's. Faster than a lot of guys half their age.

I have to agree with nofb the suspension is crap. the best thing I did to mine was put a YZ fork on it.

I've been utterly annihilated by a pro in a desert race riding his "play" bike which was a DRZ470. As for the WRF, and any other bike, weight and suspension are the main factors obviously.

I have to agree with nofb the suspension is crap. the best thing I did to mine was put a YZ fork on it.

Weird. I thought my '06 YZ forks sucked for enduros. After I revalved them, I thought they were a lot closer to my WR forks. And they sure worked better at keeping me on the bike during an enduro.

Sure the WR may not be the best choice for someone that wants to compete in a supercross race, but obviously, if someone is considering a WR (or a DRZ, or a XCW, or a EXC for that matter), they probably aren't dreaming of being the next Ryan Dungey.

Edited by 2grimjim

the best thing I did to mine was put a YZ fork on it

Wouldn't two have worked better?

LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself! :-)

is the WR450F really just a trail bike?

That is all I've ever used mine for :bonk:

The limits of the bike (with intake/exhaust/carb tuning and suspension mods) far exceed the limits of this rider....

Bone stock is a completely different story.

interesting comments, i've always leaned to thinking how well you ride is about 70% skill and 30% the bike itself. most of us have been riding for at least 20 years and aren't too shabby, but still get smoked by this heavy guy on an old unmodified DR650 coz he's been racing vintage mx bikes for years. :bonk:

i swapped the husky TE610 for this

so it feels like a great dirt bike to me even without the gray wire mod or any suspension changes, despite reading the katos etc are meant to be better in most respects except for reliability.

gonna ride it for a while then might get the 2012 wr450f on sale late next year. i should probably get a ride on someone's kato for a comparison, but figure i'll opt for the reliability factor even if the WR is just a glorified trail bike.

If it was all about what bike would be the best and fastest bike for our terrain skill etc. few of us would be on the right bike anyway. Call the WR a trailbike? Maybe, but remember Scott Summers? I ride a YZ where a KTM 300 smoker would probably be a better mount but I dont care, Im having fun and thats good for me. Theres going to be faster and slower guys no matter what you ride, just have to suck it up a bit when the dude with gumboots and an open face helmet blows by you.

I'm a 30 year old outta shape dude. I haven't had a bike in years, but grew up riding.. I did the free mods minus the grey wire and this bike kicks my ass I ride the so cal hi desert (Johnson valley).. in everything but the biggest woops and jumps I'm completely impressed minus the hard ass seat.. minus the track or aimilar desert terrain I think its great. hillclimbs trails, fire roads, and everything in between its Workin great for me, and when I get better and get the suspension done I think it will be great..

The WR can be raced, I've done it. However, I prefer to race my YZ250 2stroke. My results have proven to be way better on the lighter YZ250. I use the WR for trail riding, putt putting with my 4 year old, and dual sport exploring fire roads.

For me it isn't a WR vs Ktm or whatever, it is a 2 vs 4 stroke thing. If there were 450 only classes, I would race it head up against any other 450. There isn't though, so I find it easier to race a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke in the woods. That being said, plenty of guys ride 450's and win. So you sort of need to figure out what works for you.

The WR is a very versatile machine. I imagine it's more competitive out west than it is in the East. Whibs didn't do too well on it when they raced it, Merriman and Aubert did good on it in the WEC though. I suspect those WR's were really YZF with lights though.

The WR is a pretty versatile bike. I service a handful of them every year. I redone the suspension on a 05 with a SPI kit and the owner never complain about the suspension anymore.