Sprocket sizes (teeth) for a 01 WR426

I just replaced mine from 14/45 to 14/48 and am very happy with the outcome. I can't imagine needing a 50t with THAT low of a 1st gear. I can live with 2nd using the 48t as well. With the 45t rear I could not handle to gap from 1st to 2nd.

FYI Ironman sprockets are bullet proof.

Yeah, stock is 14/50 with a 114 link chain...By the way, I'm getting my new blue 2004 TOYOTA Corolla CE 5spd in 2 days ?.

Nice choice dominator426! I'm all Toyota now, drive a 98 TRD Tacoma 4WD, wife has an 03 Highlander 4WD, commuter is a 90 Corolla and a 83 Starlet. I have been a tech at the same dealer for 15 years now, and I'm the new guy! You'll love the little Corolla, economical and of course, extremely reliable. :D

I just replaced mine from 14/45 to 14/48 and am very happy with the outcome. I can't imagine needing a 50t with THAT low of a 1st gear.

You are probably right. I'm riding a 16/50 ratio for off roading. My gearing is too speedy for tight stuff tough.

I guess that 14-48 or 15-50 would be OK. I have the original 14 t front sprocket and I'm gonna try it on one day.

• 13 years later...

The discussion of gearing for different preferences is interesting but i was wondering what gearing options actually work with the standard chain guide etc? I would imagine that 14t or 15t on the front wouldn't make a difference but how small or large (compared to the standard 50t, i think) could one go on the back before having to modify, remove or replace the chain guide?

Thanks,

M