HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ricky1

Fixing gas tanks

6 posts in this topic

I am not an expert at anything. I am not a mechanic, nor an engineer. I am only passing on info and experience.

I wanted to seal my petcock to the tank. I called IMS for their advice. Brian at IMS said to use JB weld. I used it last night, and it worked beautifly, curing very hard overnight (12hrs). This was used to seal the aluminum flange to the plastic tank. It seemed to bond very well to the plastic.

I then used Permatex Aircraft Grade Form a Gasket to seal the threaded parts of the petcock. This stuff is "pressure resistant and LEAKPROOF to high octang gasoline, grease, and lubricating oils, up tp 400deg F."

Since IMS suggested the JB weld as a sealant, do you think it could be used to repair cracked tanks?

------------------

Rick Fuller

'01 yz426

'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01

'81 490 Maico

Since IMS suggested the JB weld as a sealant, do you think it could be used to repair cracked tanks?

No, where the tanks crack in the back is where they flex a lot. JB Weld won't flex at all, it'll just crack off.

------------------

'92 GSXR 7/11 (For sale, click on link)

'99 YZ400F

'02 Honda CR450F - Coming soon!

MOTOGREG

So I assume you are saying that JB weld is to rigid and will crack?

------------------

Rick Fuller

'01 yz426

'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01

'81 490 Maico

I've tried someJB weld on a cracked tank, it only held for a little while. It was my old (98) WR, and I put a dent/tear in the tank with my knee in some tight, fast woods(avoiding trees). the seam under the fill cap tore about 30% around. the jb weld was a cheap fix, and is still in use with minimum leakage(it is now a friend of mines)until a YZ seat/tank can be aquired.

So my answer is NO, it will seal a crack. It does slow down the leak though.

I also have recently tryed the J.B.Weld and the Loctite Gas tank repair. My tank split at a seam. It will not bond enough to hold gas permenently. I've heard of others melting plastic into the cracks with great success. I think the key is to get the tank area hot for bonding (without burning a hole in the tank) good luck on that one. I don't trust any of these things so I bought a new Acerbis (damn it!)

I have had great luck with a plastic epoxy sold at NAPA auto parts stores. Not sure the exact one, but it is the one made for plastic/plastic bonding. I have used it twice. The first time I did no prep other than drying the gas. It lasted about 3 months before weeping. The second time I rough sanded the area, cleaned up the ideantation where the puncture was, and then cleaned the area with acetone. No leaking, weeping, or even discoloring for over the year it has been on! A syringe of the goo is now permanently in my toolbox. Btw, it's under $5.

------------------

aka Rich

1996 300 EXC

(dual sported)

1987 Suzuki LT250R

(Glamis chrome beast)