1983 Husqvarna 430WR test.

• 2 years later...

My vintage bud's know that I'm a Maico man through and through, but when it comes to vintage/PV offroad racing & riding the 83 Husqvarna 430WR is perhaps the best and most reliable offroad bike I've ever owned.  Amazing (lazy's man) motor and great suspension!

Here's a little pic of my Husqvarna from the stable. ?

http://husqvarna430oct2014_zpsf119a0fe.jpg

• Like 1

Had the 500. Thing were built. Remember drilling a hole in the frame for something and wearing out a few drill bits.

Came off a Maico which didn't use reed valve's and the husky ran so much better down low and never fouled a plug.

The rake was truly desert, had to sit on the tank to turn it in the woods compared to the Maico. The 6 spd wide ratio would make it a perfect twostroke DS looking back, don't think I ever re geared for every kind of riding woods to 100mph desert. The thing had so much crank mass and flywheel you'd dump it in the woods and it'd just lay there on it's side winding up half the forest in it's wheel, wouldn't stall.

• Like 1

The Spec sheet says 37 inches. I just went out and measured mine, and that's about right.  I'm 5`11 with a short inseam, but this feels much better in the woods/trails to me than the 82 430 XC I previously owned.  I think the XCs had a seat height was 38.5 inches.  Really liked the 82 430 XC, but it was just a tad to tall for me.

The Spec sheet says 37 inches. I just went out and measured mine, and that's about right.  I'm 5`11 with a short inseam, but this feels much better in the woods/trails to me than the 82 430 XC I previously owned.  I think the XCs had a seat height was 38.5 inches.  Really liked the 82 430 XC, but it was just a tad to tall for me.

Seats sunk in a lot more than today's planks, but yes they were tall. These big heavy bigbores really taught ya on how to carry your speed  (no brakes 1/2 the time)  ?