HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stealth13

Wr450 highway duties ?

7 posts in this topic

On stock gearing how would the wr450 do cruising at 110-120kmh? Is there a better gear to get if I do alot of street riding as well as offroad too?

Mine is turning about 7500RPM at those speeds. That's a lot of wear and tear, regular oil changes and just putting up with the engine screaming that much would be a pain.

I have considered getting a set of more street friendly gears and chain to swap between dirt and street duty but for now I just keep the street duty to side streets and local roads.

It'll do it, just not very well.

What would be a better sprocket size for that kind of riding so it's not wringing it's neck, but so I can also ride trails?

Stock gearing in 2003 was 14/50. I think it changed sometime after that to 13/50 (05?). I have run 15/48 on my 03 and didn't miss much down low since 1st is already so low. Top speed was notably improved.

Bigger sprockets in front and smaller in back lower rpm for any given speed at the expense of low speed torque.