Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crash279

06 WR450 Exhaust Question

5 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 06 WR450. The previous owner completely gutted the exhaust can/muffler. It's just the body of the exhaust can and the end cap. When I go to start the bike it is very cold natured and gives a pop or two before it starts. I don't think that the bike will start with just the stock battery (right now I'm using my jumper battery) since it takes a few tries. I believe that my jetting is close, not perfect, but will get the job done until I can solve my current issue. There are two missing pieces according to the parts breakdown. There is the spark arrestor screen and then there is a baffle or pipe that bolts to the end and is covered by the end cap. To get the exhaust into a functional state, do I just need to get the tail pipe, or do I need to get the screen too? I have found a GYTR end piece on eBay. Will that alone be sufficient? I feel kinda stupid asking this, but I've never messed with a stock 4 stroke exhaust like this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, would it be better to just put a YZ450 can on it? Which ones fit?

Edited by crash279

The stock exhaust has several tubes and separate chambers inside that do not show in the dawings and were not intended to be removed. It is not a straight shot all the way through. Thats part of what helps keep it quiet. Even with a new end cap what you got right now is probabley going to be unbearably loud and perform poorly.

A YZ or an aftermarket exhaust will be a straight through design but it will have a perforated pipe running thru the middle wrapped in packing material to decrease the sound level. Some aftermarket exhausts also combine an end cap that reduces sound output even more.

Do search for some pictures for motorcycle exhaust internals and you should should get and idea of what I'm trying to describe.

I would go with the YZ exhaust. Good performance for your WR at a reasonble cost and at least you would have an idea on where to begin getting the jetting right. The YZ exhaust will not have a spak arrestor which is required in some places like natonal forest land but you can buy one for it.

Who knows where to even begin for jetting with a BIG open canister on the end of your exhaust.

I believe any of the steel frame YZs should fit as long as their 450s and not 400 or 426. I think you will need the YZ head pipe too because the YZ canister is a slightly bigger diameter than the WR. Someone please help me out if I'm wrong on this.

The stock exhaust has several tubes and separate chambers inside that do not show in the dawings and were not intended to be removed. It is not a straight shot all the way through. Thats part of what helps keep it quiet. Even with a new end cap what you got right now is probabley going to be unbearably loud and perform poorly.

A YZ or an aftermarket exhaust will be a straight through design but it will have a perforated pipe running thru the middle wrapped in packing material to decrease the sound level. Some aftermarket exhausts also combine an end cap that reduces sound output even more.

Do search for some pictures for motorcycle exhaust internals and you should should get and idea of what I'm trying to describe.

I would go with the YZ exhaust. Good performance for your WR at a reasonble cost and at least you would have an idea on where to begin getting the jetting right. The YZ exhaust will not have a spak arrestor which is required in some places like natonal forest land but you can buy one for it.

Who knows where to even begin for jetting with a BIG open canister on the end of your exhaust.

I believe any of the steel frame YZs should fit as long as their 450s and not 400 or 426. I think you will need the YZ head pipe too because the YZ canister is a slightly bigger diameter than the WR. Someone please help me out if I'm wrong on this.

Thanks for the reply. I found one silencer on eBay, so I might just go that route. Then again, might roll the dice and see what Santa brings me. I have a full exhaust off of my '05 250f, but I don't think that it would fit.

Thanks for the reply. I found one silencer on eBay, so I might just go that route. Then again, might roll the dice and see what Santa brings me. I have a full exhaust off of my '05 250f, but I don't think that it would fit.

Try it, I think it will bolt right up even with the WR head pipe. Heck you won't be out nothing but 15 minutes time.

My '06 WR that I bought used has the same gutted out silencer as yours. Mine does have the rear bolt pattern that I bolt the small snout into, and then the end cap over that. It easily passes sound tests, and it still has the spark arrest screen too. The bike runs incredibly well, so I have no need for a YZ exhaust on mine. So as long as you can still mount the screen & snout into the end of your silencer, buying a YZ exhaust will not do anything for your WR. Maniac