2010-12 engine reposition

Couple questions

1 are you guys testing with the stock 742 or mx51 front tire?

2 why not just slide a few mm farther forward on the seat in turns?

Couple questions

1 are you guys testing with the stock 742 or mx51 front tire?

2 why not just slide a few mm farther forward on the seat in turns?

Ding Ding Ding! You got it Bob!

MX-51, proper sag, raise the forks a couple mm. The thing turns like it's on rails.

After seeing that video I would never do that to my bike. What a PITA!

MX-51, proper sag, raise the forks a couple mm. The thing turns like it's on rails.

people aren't using these to help it turn.

what are you guys running for sag ???? and has anyone tried anything different for riding in the sand ?

people aren't using these to help it turn.

Actually, they are.

I just installed the drd kit. Has anyone added 1 1/2 links to the drive chain at the same time as there is room for it now to take the rear wheel back to complement the engine going forward?

Had a quick ride and can notice the difference, bike wants to tuck on me in tight turns though, 2nd gear practice track, maybe im too far forward as it is easy to do with the tall seat, also i need stiffer fork springs more than ever i recon, happy with the mod. Will add update after first decent ride.

I just had a decent Mx ride today and wow, I was a skeptic, but moving the engine 2.5mm forward is noticable and a move in the right direction for the bike i think.

At first i forgot about the mod when i started riding because ive been busy at work, but it felt like a slightly different bike off the bat, and after a few turns and jumps i quickly remembered what i had done and the difference in feel.

Without changing anything else the steering felt slightly heavier, like it self centered a little more, gave me more feeling in turns and i noticed i had to sit back a fraction more to get the front hovering up the straight to gain max traction.

Also in the whoops the bike felt better balanced and had to focus more on traction and less on steering when trippling out. Could also slide the rear a little more.

Makes me wonder what moving the engine another 2-3 mm forward would do to the handling...not realy posible with the swingarm pivot bolt/shaft/rear engine mount configeration.

Still havent added to the chain length. Going racing on Sunday, will add post race post.

First race report after installing the forward mounting kit....

Traveled 500kms (to and fro) on the weekend to have the race meeting cancelled after our first race due to the rain.

On my first time there I did however pull off a win the first race (vets 35+ grid of approx 20) and are happy with the bike's balance atm.

Just wish i had more time riding it as we had to travel so far to get there, and i was loving the soil type and track layout.

Track was nice and sandy, very moist and prepped well and i noticed i could get the rear sliding/squaring off on the burms to assist the turn better than usual.

I set my idle up a click and rode higher in the rev range and used the clutch a hell of a lot more than i usually do to help power through the sand.

Front felt planted, but would still tuck a little on the tighter turns with thick loose sand, have to be ready for this and strong in the arms and gripping the bike so as to hold your line imo, or loose lots of speed in the process.

Will try and get stiffer fork springs this week as i think the will help further.

Got another race this weekend on my local hard pack track, will report back for those interested.

Cheers..time for a Bourbon..

Tried all the stuff. This mod makes a fairly big difference. Anyone can tweek the bike to make it cut in tighter, the problem is that once you are on the gas is doesnt like to stay laid over and on the tigher line. It wants to push and stand up. The mod isn't very hard and didn't take much time at all. It is affordable too.

I run M403/204. They are great tires for the range of soil I ride on at So Cal tracks (Perris, Lake Elsinore, Pala, Milestone, Cahuilla Creek, Comp Edge)

Edited by BBrown626

the more i ride my bike with mod the more i like love the bike , i can now lean it way over in turn with confidence . :devil:

Ordered mine this week, looking forward to trying it. A friend's 2010 recently lost 3rd gear while racing. When he stripped it the dogs had all broken off it.. Also the noticed some massive cracking to the rear of the front of the frame above the engine mounts. Yamaha said it was down to engine vibration??? Offered him a new frame at cost..he's had it welded instead. Anyone else had either of these issues?

Edited by fraser

I did the light speed mod and it was better but nowhere near as planted as the other 450's I've ridden. I just traded for an 11 Honda and the front is way better than the modded Yamaha. I hav a couple of friends that have tranny problems withe their 11's as well I had no such problems with mine. I've heard of Honda's having tranny problems too so I guess they all do have some issues. (lol) I'm probably done with Yammies until they change their bikes, I know their great for some people just not me.

I did the light speed mod and it was better but nowhere near as planted as the other 450's I've ridden. I just traded for an 11 Honda and the front is way better than the modded Yamaha. I hav a couple of friends that have tranny problems withe their 11's as well I had no such problems with mine. I've heard of Honda's having tranny problems too so I guess they all do have some issues. (lol) I'm probably done with Yammies until they change their bikes, I know their great for some people just not me.

Its been a great bike for me, I've got great race results since i bought my 11Yz450.

I have never felt so comfortable on a bike, especially since the respring and revalve for my weight, it took a couple hours testing and changing preload and clickers to get it close to right though, of course.

I'm starting to think, a trade off for a planted front is a lack of rear wheel traction, following some of the other 450 skip around side to side in corners, (could just be the riders or their setup not sure).

Didn't have any close calls racing on Sunday, still getting used to how hard i can push it, grid of 30 got a 2nd overall, the yz is such a solid balanced planted platform, im very happy and impressed with it.

After hearing about gearbox issues I am mindfull of slaming through gears at wot, im trying to perfect the power shift (using a little clutch between shifts) to help prevent damage to the box.

I know tis thread is old but wanted to add feedback on this kit. I am a 40+ novice and have the 2012 yz450. I have fought the bike standing up in turns and wanting to go wide exiting turns. Anyway, I have tried the pc link and just flat did not like it. Initial travel was stiffer/harsher and the bike handled weird to me even trying different sag and fork heights. Turned even worse than before. Took it off after 5 hours of trying different setups. I just rode with the light speed kit and the stock link with the forks at 5mm and 100 mm rear sag and it is a totally different bike to me. It just sticks in the turns now and feels more stable/solid. Now i can hold the inside line no problem. There is a rough sweeper that was awkward at best for me with the stock link and with the pc link but with this kit the front is really planted and the rear breaks loose a little more in a good way. Very noticable. Jumps and everything else are as good or better than any other setup I have tried. This is a great mod and I would recommend it highly to anyone riding the YZ in general and definitely over the longer link. Install was pretty easy and took me about an hour. Cheers to light speed for this simple cheap solution!

I intalled the kit last week. Haven't tried it yet. But my 2012 has already 70 hours on it.

Bike set-up is:

0.48 kg springs on the front and a Ohlins TTX 44 with 5.9 kg spring in the back.

Stock link.

Here in Spain we mostly have hardpack tracks. I hope this week I can do a full review of the Dr. D Kit on the track where I have done 25% of the hours. So if there is a difference I will feel it for sure.

Installation was ok. No big deal following the YouTube video.

1407672944780.jpg

1407672972601.jpg

1407673017700.jpg

Absolutely a big improvement with the reposition kit. Bike feels much easier and responsive. No weird turning issues. It really makes a difference from the first corner.

It's by large the best investment I've done on the bike. I'm satisfied with the result.