HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thepowderblue

TIme for a new chain and sprockets

10 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can find them cheap? Key word cheap.

I also need to know what is the stock sprocket size for my 02yz426, front and rear?

i also need to know what is the stock sprocket size for my 02yz426, front and rear?

14/49

Front sprocket is used on plenty of other models, easy to find (click here for sunstar interchange). Rear sprocket is the same as mid-80's XR200, 250, 350, 500, and 600, pretty cheap on ebay for a steel rear sprocket (click here for sunstar interchange). For chains, you can either buy a cheap non-o-ring chain and replace it soon, or buy a decent chain and keep it for a while. Penny wise and pound foolish, your choice. I have had success with cheap chains, but you have to be prepared to maintain and replace them.

Here's an ebay rear sprocket- http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-Rear-Steel-Sprocket-49T-Honda-XR200R-84-85-/320559286424?hash=item4aa2d28898&item=320559286424&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Here's a cheap front sprocket- http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-SPROCKET-14-T-YZ450F-YZ250-WR450F-YFZ450-KX250-/330639650342?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfba8ae26

Like stated above it will be cheaper in the long run to get a good chain. I put a regina ORN6 on my bike 60+ hours ago and it only gets adjusted during tire changes. I like cheap steel sprockets though!

False economy! I couldn't remember that when posting originally. Buying a cheap chain means you need to buy another, soon. Case in point- I commute 40 miles per day, 10k per year. I bought a $60 o-ring no-name chain twice over 20k (each one was shot at ~9k, but I held out for another month to go a complete year). I then bought a DID (or some other name brand) basic o-ring for ~$100 25k ago. Cheap sprockets are doing better with the good chain than they did with the cheap chain, oddly enough. Lube and cleaning every time it sounds funny, so far so good. Haven't had to adjust it in about 5k, but I had to adjust the cheap chain every 400 miles.

Cheap sprockets are doing better with the good chain than they did with the cheap chain, oddly enough.

There's nothing odd about that. If the chain doesn't wear internally, any sprocket will last far longer. A chain that "stretches" due to wear at the pins and bushings will chew up the best sprockets in no time. I started using Regina ORN6 chains 9 years ago, and haven't used anything else since. Their longevity is phenomenal.

There's nothing odd about that. If the chain doesn't wear internally, any sprocket will last far longer. A chain that "stretches" due to wear at the pins and bushings will chew up the best sprockets in no time. I started using Regina ORN6 chains 9 years ago, and haven't used anything else since. Their longevity is phenomenal.

9 years...thats only 3 chains :lol: