2006 YZ450F - how to get this bike to corner?

That all sounds OK, but if I had a lathe to work with, I'd make a new ring to replace it with.

I'm just curious - have you springs had enough hours on them to "set"? I've read that the stock springs will set in a lot, and I'm thinking that preload might be there to account for that. I'm running a set of stockers that are fairly new - couple rides old before me then I put 2 rides on them.

I'm just curious - have you springs had enough hours on them to "set"? I've read that the stock springs will set in a lot, and I'm thinking that preload might be there to account for that. I'm running a set of stockers that are fairly new - couple rides old before me then I put 2 rides on them.

Good quality springs shouldn't 'set'. If they are manufactured correctly, their properties will be fairly constant over their lifetime. 40 years ago, that wasn't necessarily the case. They will slowly change, but that is more dependant on stress cycles than age.

After digging through my notes, I ended up reducing the preload to 2mm (stock is 17mm), used a .5 kg/mm spring (weight on front wheel is 130 lbs w/half tank of fuel and I weigh 180 lbs w/no gear. Bike is 245 dry). This combo gave about 1 5/8 free sag and about 3 3/8. race sag.

That's 85mm of rider sag?? I'm 180 with no gear as well, running 0.47's, and I'm getting around 50mm of rider sag. Are you measuring standing straight up on the pegs? Are you riding motocross or offroad?

Well manufactured springs are "pre-set". A lot of OEM springs will set quickly in the first few hours.

Sitting on the bike in a neutral position. I'm also checking with a half tank of fuel (3.1 gallon tank).

The bike is set up for a 50 year old B rider. Mixed desert and alpine riding. Not an easy set up to figure out but it works for me.

Good quality springs shouldn't 'set'.

KYB springs generally don't. One of many reasons they're worth the money.

That's 85mm of rider sag?? I'm 180 with no gear as well, running 0.47's, and I'm getting around 50mm of rider sag. Are you measuring standing straight up on the pegs? Are you riding motocross or offroad?

Well manufactured springs are "pre-set". A lot of OEM springs will set quickly in the first few hours.

Is this with the stock preload or the reduced preload?

Stock preload. I haven't cut the cartridges yet. Seeing if I can just source shorter springs first and use spacers between the seat and the collar.

Stock preload. I haven't cut the cartridges yet. Seeing if I can just source shorter springs first and use spacers between the seat and the collar.

Race Tech will shorten springs any ammount you want for $50.

That's my price for a new set of springs basically.

What rear springrate are you running on that bike for proper sag? Thinking I may need to bump up a rate or two once it's not all bound up to get the sag right if you're really at a .50kg and my weight.

Subbed for later reading. My 07 is giving me fits