Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ktmheinzee

1998 YZ400 F Flywheel swap

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1998 YZ400 F that I just pasted down to my son. The bike is in great shape but he has truble keeping it running in the slower tight stuff because the flywheel is so light. I was going to add weights, but you cant find them anymore, so does anyone know if a WR 400 flywheel from the same year or 1999/2000 will fit/work.

Thanks

At risk of being shot... Check Ebay. Do a search for yz400 flywheel. Most of the results you get will be the original flywheel. Every so often, you will see (pictures) a FW with 4 bolts on the outer flange of the FW, at 12 oclock, 3, 6, and 9. Bingo. You just found a FW with a $200 weight already attached.

I bought one for my YZ426 this way. I think I paid $70 for it (flywheel with weight installed). The YZ400 and the YZ426 use interchangeable flywheels. The WR series, as Gray mentioned, need both the flywheel AND stator, plus additional work.

So will I need to ground the pink wire if i'm not going to run any lights.

No, you'll need to do the pink wire mod as described in order for the bike to run at all with the WR stator.

No, you'll need to do the pink wire mod as described in order for the bike to run at all with the WR stator.

Thanks for the help