Picked this gem up for $800

20111126_122306.jpg

2005 yz450f. Factory stock except the chain/sprockets, tires, and full WB exhaust. The motor has never been apart as far as I can tell.

My question is about the amount of compression at the kickstarter, my other 450 (rmz 2007) seemed to have alot more. I can start it cold with flip flops on first or second kick every time and it runs perfect. The bike appears to have low hours and well taken care of. Sould I be concerned?

About those flip-flops...?

It's one thing to be able to start the bike while wearing them, but it's a dangerous practice. If the bike gets grumpy one day, it will kick you so hard you'll think you were shot in the bottom of your foot, even if wearing your riding boots. Be advised.

YZ450's with some time on them are pretty easy to roll over with the kick crank. If it seems low to you, have a leak down test done and see what the results say. Conventional compression tests are pretty meaningless with auto decompression, or even without it, for that matter.

• Like 1

About those flip-flops...?

It's one thing to be able to start the bike while wearing them, but it's a dangerous practice. If the bike gets grumpy one day, it will kick you so hard you'll think you were shot in the bottom of your foot, even if wearing your riding boots. Be advised.

YZ450's with some time on them are pretty easy to roll over with the kick crank. If it seems low to you, have a leak down test done and see what the results say. Conventional compression tests are pretty meaningless with auto decompression, or even without it, for that matter.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I know what you mean about the flip flops, I was mostly using it as reference to how easy it is to start.....although I have done it once ?

Ill definitely do the leak down test next. I might just put a piston in it anyway since the bike is a few years old.

Its a peice of crap, ill give you the $800 you spent so you can walk away right now! :banghead:

Smokin deal!?

Before I put a high comp piston in my 06 yz450 I could start it by HAND (no really) I loved doing that when all my cr500 buddies were watching... :cheers:

Auto Decomp is the shiznit, until it hic-ups (common on YZ's). First time it happened to me I thought my motor locked up! ?

Whenever I let someone ride it and they kick it too hard causing the decomp to mal, I always scare them by saying they owe me a new motor... ?

judging by the graphics and front forks, i think that bike is an 04. but a good find either way. my buddy had an 04 and i rode a lot. even raced it for him a few times. i really like it.

Your absolutly right I didnt notice! I should have known because I had a new 05 yz50. I bought the bike from an older guy Ive known for a long time and he said it was an 05. lol I bet he didnt know any better

Its a peice of crap, ill give you the $800 you spent so you can walk away right now! :cheers:

Smokin deal!?

Before I put a high comp piston in my 06 yz450 I could start it by HAND (no really) I loved doing that when all my cr500 buddies were watching... ?

Auto Decomp is the shiznit, until it hic-ups (common on YZ's). First time it happened to me I thought my motor locked up! ?

Whenever I let someone ride it and they kick it too hard causing the decomp to mal, I always scare them by saying they owe me a new motor... :foul:

Thanks man :banghead:

I havent rode since 2009 so Im pretty excited to get back out and throw some roost

20111126_122306.jpg

2005 yz450f. Factory stock except the chain/sprockets, tires, and full WB exhaust. The motor has never been apart as far as I can tell.

My question is about the amount of compression at the kickstarter, my other 450 (rmz 2007) seemed to have alot more. I can start it cold with flip flops on first or second kick every time and it runs perfect. The bike appears to have low hours and well taken care of. Sould I be concerned?

if you dont like the way it turns try the Rekluse Eaxle unless you can find a set of triples to quicken the steering

I put on my WR450 and would sell the bike if I had to ride without it

if you dont like the way it turns try the Rekluse Eaxle unless you can find a set of triples to quicken the steering

I put on my WR450 and would sell the bike if I had to ride without it

Sorry, Rekluse no longer offers the e-axle... :bonk:

Im going to have to do something. I dont want to bash but this thing is a tank in the turns and has no traction. I think maybe the suspension isnt working right. What offset clamps are you guys running?