chain wadded - replacement suggestions?

Hey all,

Kinda new here and to 4T's, but I have a question regarding my '03 WR450's chain/drive. I bought the bike used this summer and have only ridden it a few times.

At the end of the day riding through some pretty tight and hilly woods in NC, I was heading back on a 4x4 trail - probably getting towards WOT in 3rd when the chain let go. Fortunately, it wadded under the front chain guard and below the gear shift lever. The motor cut off immediately. I was able to go through the gears to get back to Neutral and backed the chain off the rear sprocket. I started the bike, and it sounded fine.

No leaks or visible damage (except some scrapes on the casing), and it looks like the master-link clip must've popped off at some point.

So many bad things could have happened, that I feel blessed with the hand I was dealt. There might be some internal damage, but I really won't know until I get a chain back on there.

The chain has a slight twist in one spot, and I don't want to mess with it.

I checked my owner's manual for the exact OEM chain type/size. It shows "Chain = DID520VM/DAIDO".

I'm guessing that any quality 520 O-Ring chain will work. However, now would be a good time to update/change my sprockets. Since I ride mostly pinewoods and mountain trails in 2nd/3rd gear, I might want to gear it down for a little more bite/higher RPM's in 2nd, maybe a 14/51. I currently run a 14/50.

I was looking online (Bike Bandit) this morning for a replacement drive setup, and I came across this as a direct replacement:

Brand RK

Price $183.56

Chain Included RK GB 520 MXZ3

Chain Color Gold

Pitch 520

Ring Type None

Sprocket Color Black

Sprocket Teeth 14 Front / 50 Rear

I don't know anything about RK. I'll listen to any reasonable suggestions to match my riding (I'm a novice rider) and terrain (mostly woods) for a good drive setup for my '03 WR450.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by ack1961
new title

when I was riding offroad on my WR, I ran the exact same setup as stock (14/50). I found it was almost a perfect gearing because you could lug it without stalling at slow speeds, and the top end was reasonably good for my riding style.

I was running JT steel sprockets front and rear, with a 520 RK X-ring chain (114 links).

If you're not running a case saver, I'd HIGHLY sudgest getting one. The case breaks easily from a broken chain.

when I was riding offroad on my WR, I ran the exact same setup as stock (14/50). I found it was almost a perfect gearing because you could lug it without stalling at slow speeds, and the top end was reasonably good for my riding style.

I was running JT steel sprockets front and rear, with a 520 RK X-ring chain (114 links).

If you're not running a case saver, I'd HIGHLY sudgest getting one. The case breaks easily from a broken chain.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to keep the 14/50 setup and just work on my technique (I keep bogging down in corners and not rolling through at decent RPM's - I don't have this issue on my 2T's).

Yeah, I think my case saver certainly saved me here. For just a slice of hard plastic, it does a great job.

I'm with rs25 on this one. Get an o-ring, x-ring, what-ever ring chain. These last substantially longer than a non o-ring chain. And steel sprockets last alot longer than aluminum too, which helps the chain last longer. I like the 14/51 combo myself. Just a little bit more snap coming out of corners vs. stock gearing. Maniac

here's a pretty nifty tool/link to figure out what gearing changes can happen when you start changing sprocket combo's. I've spent a few hours changing to different combo's to find out speed vs rpm differences to find the sweet spot for street riding my WR in supermoto form... but, it also works for stock dirt setups :lol:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

at the end of the day, I've got three completely different ratio's to use on my bike, with different chain sprocket combo's.

Dirt: 14/50

Supermoto: 15/40 (highway), 15/44 (town)

here's a pretty nifty tool/link to figure out what gearing changes can happen when you start changing sprocket combo's. I've spent a few hours changing to different combo's to find out speed vs rpm differences to find the sweet spot for street riding my WR in supermoto form... but, it also works for stock dirt setups :lol:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

at the end of the day, I've got three completely different ratio's to use on my bike, with different chain sprocket combo's.

Dirt: 14/50

Supermoto: 15/40 (highway), 15/44 (town)

Yes! Gearing Commander rocks!

I've added all my other bikes to their database in the past.

I need to get the gearing for my '03 WR450 up there and add it to their database.

Get the best quality chain you can o-ring or whatever-ring is best. I like steel sprockets they last a long time and they help the chain last a lot longer.

Get extra master links and replace the mater link at regular intervals. the clip will wear out. especially if you get a very strong (wider) chain since it will rub on you chain guide an wear thin.

Chain guide: Carefully check your chin guide for alignment after every ride. Maybe while your washing your bike and maintaining your chain (which could be another thread) I often hit hit rocks with the chain guide and knock it out of alignment which wears a the side of the chain. I have seen the outer edge of the master link clip wear to a knife edge this is how problems start replace the master link save the old one in your tool pack for emergencies and you will live and ride longer.

Yes! Gearing Commander rocks!

I've added all my other bikes to their database in the past.

I need to get the gearing for my '03 WR450 up there and add it to their database.

04 WR450 is there.. which.. I believe is the exact same gearing :lol:

Check out rocky mountain primary drive. You can spend more but you won't get a better chain and sprocket set. I like 13/50 for tight stuff and 15/50 for riding desert.

Check out rocky mountain primary drive. You can spend more but you won't get a better chain and sprocket set. I like 13/50 for tight stuff and 15/50 for riding desert.

I put a Primary Drive set on my KDX - good stuff and a good bargain, for sure.

I settled on Moose 520 HPO Chain, and Moose 14T/50T.

Sunstar 51T Steel (this way I can swap and try out the 51 in the tight stuff)

Since some of the guards were old and got hammered pretty good, I also picked up:

MSR Swingarm Chain Rub Plate

TM Designworks Case Saver

Topar Racing Case Guard

I'll take the lower Chain Guide off and inspect it closely, but it looks fine.