2012 wr450

Talked to my dealer today, the next group of WR's will hit Seattle on the 19th, and they are only going to get one of them... so along with mine, that makes only (2) of their (5) on order will hit the floor in the month of March.

Sounds like there releasing them one per dealer per shipment to the dealers. Not good news for me since I am 3rd in line ?

More and more reviews are coming in. They all sound like Yamaha has a winner on its hands. Someone has to challenge KTM in the offroad arena. I would still like to see yamaha challenge KTM with the two strokes as well.

Its good to have options in the market.

Can't wait to see the side by side comparisons with the new KTM's.

...Someone has to challenge KTM in the offroad arena. I would still like to see yamaha challenge KTM with the two strokes as well.

Can't wait to see the side by side comparisons with the new KTM's.

All they have to do to beat KTM is keep them running. EFI issues seem to be crippling KTM.

All they have to do to beat KTM is keep them running. EFI issues seem to be crippling KTM.

I know... my KTM is still in the shop. I don't think the problem with the KTM's is the EFI. They seem to be pretty solid. I am usually surrounded by orange bikes on my rides. I have heard all about them and nobody has a problem at all. A couple of simple things will help prevent any problems.

They have an issue with their perceived reliability of their 2008-2011 motors. In truth, their bikes run better and longer than anything except the yamaha's. But... you first have to do a couple of simple things that will probably only cost you about $300. But the perception is there...

I hope their new motors are better and they have addressed the oil burning issues. They are pretty good about addressing things. But, being a first year engine, everyone will probably just wait to see what happens.

Yamaha, has a 12year engine and is smart enough not to change it. The perception there is that they run for ever.

I have one of each. A pumpkin and a yamaha. My next one will be fuel injected. SO will I sell both bikes and buy a new wr450 or a new 450xcw

Its great to have choices. I can only hope that the yamaha feels a lot more like a race bike. I have a KTM because its a great race bike, but the yamaha is a better trail bike.

I'm looking for the one bike that can do both. I can't wait to throw a let over the new yamaha. They need to have a demo day

I know... my KTM is still in the shop. I don't think the problem with the KTM's is the EFI. They seem to be pretty solid. I am usually surrounded by orange bikes on my rides. I have heard all about them and nobody has a problem at all. A couple of simple things will help prevent any problems.................

I'm looking for the one bike that can do both. I can't wait to throw a let over the new yamaha. They need to have a demo day

Before I put money down on my WR in January I went to the KTM dealer to look at the new 450 XCW, but they didn't have one in stock. I asked the dealer if they had any problems with the FI system, and he told me "Yes, We've had a few issues". He continued that they had found a couple of preventative measures that they started implementing on the new builds that seemed to be working.

Its too bad you're not further north Maurice, I'd let you throw a leg over my 2012 and take her for a spin.... In fact, its been raining and snowing here the last week straight, so I took my WR back to my dealer (which a buddy of mine owns) and let him put it on display in the show-room so interested parties can see it in the flesh. Hopefully the weekend will clear up so I can get another test ride in.

Before I put money down on my WR in January I went to the KTM dealer to look at the new 450 XCW, but they didn't have one in stock. I asked the dealer if they had any problems with the FI system, and he told me "Yes, We've had a few issues". He continued that they had found a couple of preventative measures that they started implementing on the new builds that seemed to be working.

Its too bad you're not further north Maurice, I'd let you throw a leg over my 2012 and take her for a spin.... In fact, its been raining and snowing here the last week straight, so I took my WR back to my dealer (which a buddy of mine owns) and let him put it on display in the show-room so interested parties can see it in the flesh. Hopefully the weekend will clear up so I can get another test ride in.

I heard that the problem on the KTM's was that the fuel filter clogged if the fuel had any contaminants, which means most. Rumor has it that the clogged filter, helped burn out an already suspect pump. The fix was to change out the filter and KTM has picked up the tab. At least they admitted it was a problem and fixed it. I hear they are pretty much ok now. Props to KTM.

Still... Yamaha has years of experience with fuel injection and is not necessarily "learning".

I just dropped some pretty heavy coin on my KTM. So much, in fact, that I actually have to ride it for at least a year to have that expenditure make sense. But... when its running, its worth it.

No considering a new bike til a year from now. There is no doubt that I will be giving the wr450 a very serious look. Until then, I have to stay away from the dealerships...

I heard that the problem on the KTM's was that the fuel filter clogged if the fuel had any contaminants, which means most. Rumor has it that the clogged filter, helped burn out an already suspect pump. The fix was to change out the filter and KTM has picked up the tab. At least they admitted it was a problem and fixed it. I hear they are pretty much ok now. Props to KTM.

Still... Yamaha has years of experience with fuel injection and is not necessarily "learning".

I just dropped some pretty heavy coin on my KTM. So much, in fact, that I actually have to ride it for at least a year to have that expenditure make sense. But... when its running, its worth it.

No considering a new bike til a year from now. There is no doubt that I will be giving the wr450 a very serious look. Until then, I have to stay away from the dealerships...

Me too......................................................... ?

Called the dealer yesterday to find out when my bike should be in his response was "should be within the next two weeks. The first shipment hit US shores just yesterday (3/19)". ?

Love how I get more accurate information from this thread then from the dealer.

even if its a fat pig, it is a cool looking bike

I didnt ride it,I can give an opinion, but MXAs comment on being a ok bike on a MX track will be filed under I will believe it when I see it section in my brain. Looking at my 04 WR and a 05 YZ there wasnt all that much diff to be seen. But my old WR does not belong on any MX track unless the straits are 2 miles long and the track has 2 turns

WR4504.jpg