2012 wr450

Well... I just dropped my ktm off at the shop... again... :bonk:

When it runs, its far and away superior to my wr450 in every way imaginable... when it runs...

Was planning on selling both my ktm and wr and apply the money toward the new ktm 500exc. Before this week, I was pretty firm on that course of action. But... now I am waiting for the wr450 reviews. I hope that it rides as light and nimble as the new pumpkins. If it does, there's no way I cannot buy one.

Here is a quick story from Transmoto on their initial ride reaction on the new WR. Although its not anywhere close to an in-depth test, it at least shares some impressions from a legit test rider.

http://www.transmoto.com.au/enduro/bikes/10125606/Indepth-look-at-the-Australian-2012-WR450F?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I think a lot of people will be surprised by this bike.

I read a ride report recently that was poorly translated into English. It was hardly worth reading but from what I could make out, they loved everything about the bike except the weight. It is 273 # wet, same as my 2006 WR450. They said that is turns really well and the suspension is very effective. They said it was definitely a big improvement overall from the previous model WR.

I read a ride report recently that was poorly translated into English. It was hardly worth reading but from what I could make out, they loved everything about the bike except the weight. It is 273 # wet, same as my 2006 WR450. They said that is turns really well and the suspension is very effective. They said it was definitely a big improvement overall from the previous model WR.

Considering that the ktm 500 exc is about 265 wet ( 251lbs dry + 13.5 lbs of gas) , there's about an 8lb difference. For an offroad bike, I am not sure that its all that much.

If its properly balanced, I think the feel of the bike will make a difference. The WR is heavier, but in the ball park.

for example, my 05 wr450 has a dry weight of 244lbs and the 05 ktm 450 exc has a dry weight of 250lbs. But when you ride them, the KTM is much easier to turn and feels lighter in some situations. Both are heavy when you have to pick them up though. The character of the bike means a lot.

I wonder if they hated looking at the number (273) on the scale but didn't care when they were riding the bike.

I read that as well and it was apparent that it was translated through a program. You are right, it was virtually unreadable. I would not focus too much on the weight of this bike, I have a feeling it is going to feel much more manuverable than the current model. There are going to be some reports on this bike coming out in the next week, but here is a bit more. http://www.transmoto.com.au/enduro/bikes/10125606/Indepth-look-at-the-Australian-2012-WR450F

so i just talked to my dealer this morning and he said it could be as late as april or may before he gets one anyone have a comfirmed date of delivery yet

so i just talked to my dealer this morning and he said it could be as late as april or may before he gets one anyone have a comfirmed date of delivery yet

My dealer told me yesterday they are still expecting their allotment in March. I'm not too worried as europe and Australia received theirs when expected ...

After looking at the reviews, I don't think the '12 is going to be that big of an improvement over the earlier bikes. The FI will be nice for sure but id doesn't make up for the stupid things that had to be un-done from earlier bikes like the throttle stop, AIS, gray wire mod, and uncorkig the exhaust and intake. They have just traded some of the headaches for another; have to buy an ECU and tuner just to make it run proper with an exhaust and snorkel removed.

The FI will definately make it easier to make fuel changes. No more tearing the bike apart to change needle setings, stuff like that. As far as the new foks go, the old open cartridge 48mm forks worked pretty good. Hopefully the new two-chamber forks will not need anything in the way of modifications. They are definately more complicated to work on and service correctly but there is more potential in them should someone decide they want to race the bike competitively. Hopefully, the new bike hasn't gained much weight either.

Now that Yamaha has gone EFI on the bike, maybe there is a true dual sport model in the future. At this point, all they would need to do is add a cat and closed loop FI to make it meet EPA road standards.

Suspension, turning and weight are my three gripes with the pre-2012 WR. They may have fixed the first two and concealed the weight. A good suspension and responsive, powerful motor will make a bike feel lighter when moving. It appears that the test riders in that first video (the one removed from Youtube) were impressed because the new WR felt really light when rolling, even though it's heavier than the 2011.

The biggest problem with my '06 WR is in the forks, especially in the whoops, which fortunately are few and far between. I have RT Gold Valves, heavier springs and have revalved twice but still I have to keep a close eye on fork oil height or the pig will start bottoming hard on insignificant jumps. It's easy to lose 10 - 20mm of oil on one muddy ride if you get a little grit stuck in your seals. +/- 20mm makes a huge difference. 100 mm air chamber is where I have to be to stop the bottoming but the bike still drops much lower in the stroke than I like. That's why the SSS YZ forks should be a huge improvement on the new WR.

Lithium ion battery (2.0 lbs), Tubliss system (5.0 lbs), slip-on (2.5 lbs), Quality tires (2 lbs), and you can get 10lbs off the bike for basically normal wear and tear items.

...but 129kg/283lbs wet is porky!

My full-race plated CRF450X is 279lbs wet (2.35gal only)......but it carries the weight very high, and you reallllly feel that weight....

But, none of that matters, if it FEELS LIGHT when you ride it.

Heck, the 2007 felt 30lbs lighter than my 450X, but it was the same weight +- 5lbs...............

Edited by Krannie

Lithium ion battery (2.0 lbs), Tubliss system (5.0 lbs), slip-on (2.5 lbs), Quality tires (2 lbs), and you can get 10lbs off the bike for basically normal wear and tear items.

...but 129kg/283lbs wet is porky!

My full-race plated CRF450X is 279lbs wet (2.35gal only)......but it carries the weight very high, and you reallllly feel that weight....

But, none of that matters, if it FEELS LIGHT when you ride it.

Heck, the 2007 felt 30lbs lighter than my 450X, but it was the same weight +- 5lbs...............

I'm thinking that 129kg/283lb number is the Aussie model with all their street legal garb on it.

That's right. The non-dual sport version is 273 lbs per the Canadian web site.

WHERE ARE THEY?

After looking at the reviews, I don't think the '12 is going to be that big of an improvement over the earlier bikes. The FI will be nice for sure but id doesn't make up for the stupid things that had to be un-done from earlier bikes like the throttle stop, AIS, gray wire mod, and uncorkig the exhaust and intake. They have just traded some of the headaches for another; have to buy an ECU and tuner just to make it run proper with an exhaust and snorkel removed.

The FI will definately make it easier to make fuel changes. No more tearing the bike apart to change needle setings, stuff like that. As far as the new foks go, the old open cartridge 48mm forks worked pretty good. Hopefully the new two-chamber forks will not need anything in the way of modifications. They are definately more complicated to work on and service correctly but there is more potential in them should someone decide they want to race the bike competitively. Hopefully, the new bike hasn't gained much weight either.

Now that Yamaha has gone EFI on the bike, maybe there is a true dual sport model in the future. At this point, all they would need to do is add a cat and closed loop FI to make it meet EPA road standards.

You didn't have an hour or to to undo those few things? They were a non issuse. I think the weight will be there. But will it matter? We just have to ride it to see...

You didn't have an hour or to to undo those few things? They were a non issuse. I think the weight will be there. But will it matter? We just have to ride it to see...

So true.

Or at least some video testing that is on normal terrain, not a flat grass track with perfect traction, no ruts, bumps, whoops, or jumps. I mean, come on, the WR250X would even do well on that track.....

2012 WR's have hit the states. Dealer emailed me yesterday that one of his five on order showed up on the Yamaha dealer network yesterday in Seattle. Ships out of Sea town on Monday 3/12 and I should have her Friday 3/16.

I have an 06...I love it. I love the sound of having FI....I keep going to my dealer and asking different people if they know when they will see a '12....they have no F'ing clue. I might ask around at a couple of Phx dealers this weekend. They have an '11 marked down to $6100. Can't see that I would gain much other than an aluminum frame with an '11. I don't know....I want to hear some real world stuff about the '12 to decide to I do all I want to my '06, get an even better smoking deal on the left over '11 or hang on for a '12. What are you guys thinking about the '12. Is it going to be everything and a bag a chips? I am having that 2 year itch thing I get.

The 2nd big race test (or maybe the 1st, depending how you look at it) of the new WR is this weekend at the Australian AORC Dungog event.

http://www.motoonlin...in-aorc-opener/

I think that aftermarket headlight really improves the appearance over the hideous oem lamp.

Edited by Navaho6