Weird Kicker Hang up?

Ok, well i have just purchased a new bike (new to me not new). Its an 06 YZ450F. Its in excellent condition, runs great and starts right up never was raced and has a few goodies on it. I paid 1700.00 for the bike i feel as though i got a good deal.

My question is if i come to a stop in gear with the bike idling, it can sometimes be difficult to find neutral. I have gotten better at it since getting used to the bike, but if i accidentally kill it while its running in gear, if i go to kick it again the kicker seems to hang up. Almost get stuck for a second then release and kick freely, and it only does this if i kill it in gear from idle. Does this seem like a problem, or is it simply b/c the bike died while running in gear? I have always owned 2-strokes so i dont know much about these thumpers.

sounds like clutch isn't disengaging all the way, which would explain why its hard to find neutral.

sometimes its normal but if it still bothers you here's some things to check:

proper amount of lever free play & clutch cable adjustment

right clutch plates. (i don't know if the 06 have the option of a different size final steel plate but sometimes they offer different sizes to adjust freeplay and it maybe too thick)

grooved clutch basket.... doesn't allow plates to slide apart from each other freely

I also have an 06 450 and in general the bike shifts a little rough in my opinion. Finding nuetral has never been an issue for me but the kick starter is also knotchy.

I have replaced the screw that keeps the level on the spline...check yours and use locktite. This helped but this bike starts easier when you don't kick it like you mean it...sounds wierd I know, but i have started this bike accidently on several occaisions just finding TDC.

I am happy to hear you got a great bike for $1700...not happy to hear my bike might only be worth $1700....

...if i accidentally kill it while its running in gear, if i go to kick it again the kicker seems to hang up. Almost get stuck for a second then release and kick freely, and it only does this if i kill it in gear from idle.
See if this sounds like your trouble:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9110763#post9110763

As far as hard to find neutral, that's usually due to clutch drag:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5572134#post5572134

I also have an 06 450 and in general the bike shifts a little rough in my opinion. Finding nuetral has never been an issue for me but the kick starter is also knotchy.

I have replaced the screw that keeps the level on the spline...check yours and use locktite. This helped but this bike starts easier when you don't kick it like you mean it...sounds wierd I know, but i have started this bike accidently on several occaisions just finding TDC.

I am happy to hear you got a great bike for $1700...not happy to hear my bike might only be worth $1700....

What do u mean keeps the level on the spline? you mean the allen screw that holds the kicker on? if so i have removed that and cleaned/retorqued it/lubed the splines when i pulled the kicker off to strip the paint the kid put on the kicker to make it black (it was chipped and looked horrible)

The bike is definitely not only worth 1700.00 but the guy was desperate when i low balled him and took it. And he only paid 1000 to release a pawned title on it from his friend who needed cash so he wouldnt loose his house. So with him telling me he only paid 1000, him not knowing what the bike was worth, and only being 17 i was able to lower him down quite a bit...

As for the free play people, the clutch has the correct free play and actually it is the first bike i can roll in gear with the clutch compressed? So to me it seems the clutch is releasing correctly.

The bike is definitely not only worth 1700.00 but the guy was desperate when i low balled him and took it. And he only paid 1000 to release a pawned title on it from his friend who needed cash so he wouldnt loose his house. So with him telling me he only paid 1000, him not knowing what the bike was worth, and only being 17 i was able to lower him down quite a bit...

Like my dad allways told me..." age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill" lol