2 broken spoke nipples in one ride ?

Hey,

I've never had spokes break on me before, never mind had them break like this. There are still threads visible on the hub side of the spoke, but when I checked/tightened them before my last ride there were some that would rotate the entire spoke as opposed to just tightening the nipple on the spoke - they were obviously loose by the sound they made when tapped ?

I've got 120 hours on this bike, right now I'm thinking I might buy another set of OEM spokes and install 'em.

Ideas ?

IMG_1249.jpg

That was chapter one in the best seller. "Why Brass Spoke Nipples are Better than Aluminum".

Did it cause a flat, Al? :busted: Mine did when that happened....

Go to a Kawi dealer, and order nipples from them. They fit right onto our spokes on our YZeds, and seem to be a better design...... Also, if you can get a sympathetic parts person, or can find one on a fiche, I *think* Kawasaki makes nipples in steel. For the slight weight penalty, might be worth it??

In one of these threads, I gave the p/n for the alum. Kawi nipple.....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912249

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938650

Hope this helps!!!

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
add something....

Thanks guys, nope... no flat with either of them Jimmie, I can still see the head(s) of the nipple in the rim through the spoke hole.

I was wondering though, why they'd break ? After these two let go I was concerned that my rear rim would explode on the 110' uphill at my buddies track, so I borrowed a friend's spare rim.

Like I'd said, there were a few spokes that sounded very loose, but when I tried to tighten them the spoke would turn with the nipple. Is this just a fatigue issue ? Corrosion on the threads ?

I'm thinking I'll replace all of them, I don't want to be popping one or two every ride.

when I checked/tightened them before my last ride there were some that would rotate the entire spoke as opposed to just tightening the nipple on the spoke - they were obviously loose by the sound they made when tapped ?

Do I understand correctly that you were not able to tighten the aforementioned spokes? Did you try to remedy this by tightening the opposing spokes? If so that may be the cause of the failure.

Do I understand correctly that you were not able to tighten the aforementioned spokes? Did you try to remedy this by tightening the opposing spokes? If so that may be the cause of the failure.

Well I don't know if the ones that wouldn't tighten (spoke would turn) were the ones that broke. And now that I think about it, I removed what was left of the nipple by hand on the first spoke that I pulled out of the rim/hub. So, there goes my theory about it being one of the spokes that had a seized nipple on it.

There were 3 or 4 spokes that were loose and would turn when I tried to tighten them with my spoke wrench, so yes... they wouldn't tighten. The opposing spokes were tight.

:busted:

I was wondering though, why they'd break ? After these two let go I was concerned that my rear rim would explode on the 110' uphill at my buddies track.

That's no problem for me; my bike never sees any air.... :lol:

You just need to keep them tars on the dirt, where they belongs..... ;)

Actually, I kinda think it's a design error. Look at a Kawasaki version of the same part, and they just look overall slightly beefier in the "head" portion of the nipple..... :busted:

Actually, fellas, this guy seems to thrive on the big gaps he can clear. I've seen the vids of some impressive jumpin' he can do..... :bonk: I'd normally say that his wheels are both more stressed than mine ever will be. But due to my bad technique (under & over-jumping, sometimes.....), and maybe my weight, I'm probably almost as hard on my wheels as he is..... :bonk::busted:

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
forgot something

Ha ! Sure Jimmie, you're trying to inflate my ego here.. not gonna happen ! I seem to remember you showing me a video of you punting some kid off of your local track, then you mentioned that you were going to fabricate a push bumper for the front of your YZ ?

Is the spoke thing just a fatigue isuse ? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter why they broke, I'll replace all of them. I was just curious to find out if anyone had any theories ?

Well I don't know if the ones that wouldn't tighten (spoke would turn) were the ones that broke. And now that I think about it, I removed what was left of the nipple by hand on the first spoke that I pulled out of the rim/hub. So, there goes my theory about it being one of the spokes that had a seized nipple on it.

There were 3 or 4 spokes that were loose and would turn when I tried to tighten them with my spoke wrench, so yes... they wouldn't tighten. The opposing spokes were tight.

:busted:

Here's my theory, and I may be wrong: When the spokes that wouldn't tighten (probably seized nipples) got loose, the opposing spokes got loose as well, so you tightened them. This caused too much tension in some areas, and not enough in others. A laced wheel is a dynamic system, and needs to have consistent and correct tension all the way around. As it rolls the tension changes so overtightened spokes/nipples are susceptible to failure.

Here's my theory, and I may be wrong: When the spokes that wouldn't tighten (probably seized nipples) got loose, the opposing spokes got loose as well, so you tightened them. This caused too much tension in some areas, and not enough in others. A laced wheel is a dynamic system, and needs to have consistent and correct tension all the way around. As it rolls the tension changes so overtightened spokes/nipples are susceptible to failure.

That'd work, but the opposing spokes were tight and didn't need any attention. The only spokes that were loose yesterday were the ones that would turn with the nipple(s).

But like you've said, maybe the spokes that were too loose caused excess tension on the tight spokes. Sounds good, I'll run with that !:busted:

When mine broke it was simply 1 single spoke. No other spokes were loose on the back wheel. I'd have never known I even had a problem with a spoke until I went to fix the flat tire my spoke/broken nipple caused. Broke exactly like crf450319's did..... :busted:

And really, for the amount of these bikes around, this deal seems to be kind of "rare", to a degree. That said, if I jumped a lot, I'd probably feel better with stronger rim/spoke/nipple setups..... The way I ride any more, it's not really much of a worry for my bike.... Unless I get another flat..... :busted:

Jimmie