pastrana fmx bars

anyone run them on there wr? i am 6'3" tall, and ride trails exclusivley. i have very long legs, and find myself bent over at the waist alot when standing. this is uncomfortable for me. the pro taper countour pastrana fmx bars have a 120mm rise, and are only 30.5" wide. this sounds appealing, as there are trees here in the great northwest. my problem, though, is i have the older style 7/8" yami tripple clamps which means i would need to run a bar adapter to run these bars. would the combination of the 7/8" to 1 1/8" pro taper bar adapters, and the added height of the pastrana fmx bend bars give me too much height and make it uncomfortable the other way? what would this do for controllability of the bike? and are bar adapters safe to use? or are they considered to be a band aid like adding wheel spacers to your hubs on a truck to get your oversize tires to fit?

also, with the taller rise, how would full wrap hand guards such as cycra's fit these bars?

anyone run them on there wr? i am 6'3" tall, and ride trails exclusivley. i have very long legs, and find myself bent over at the waist alot when standing. this is uncomfortable for me. the pro taper countour pastrana fmx bars have a 120mm rise, and are only 30.5" wide. this sounds appealing, as there are trees here in the great northwest. my problem, though, is i have the older style 7/8" yami tripple clamps which means i would need to run a bar adapter to run these bars. would the combination of the 7/8" to 1 1/8" pro taper bar adapters, and the added height of the pastrana fmx bend bars give me too much height and make it uncomfortable the other way? what would this do for controllability of the bike? and are bar adapters safe to use? or are they considered to be a band aid like adding wheel spacers to your hubs on a truck to get your oversize tires to fit?

also, with the taller rise, how would full wrap hand guards such as cycra's fit these bars?

Good question. I am awaiting an answer as well. I'm 6'5 with stock 1 1/8" bars and 1.5 inch risers. They help but dont solve the problem.

I am 6'4" and have tried multiple combinations of bar risers on multiple bikes.

From no rise (using stock ProTaper IC3-90 85mm rise)

IMG_0563.jpg

To KX High (20mm more rise) and BRP submount (+26mm more rise)

DSCN7410-1.jpg

To RM Mid (18mm more rise) and Roxrisers (26mm more rise up AND foward)

DSCN8207.jpg

To 3/4" (1 1/8" adaptor) risers with Pro taper CR High bend and RM Mid

wr450cockpit002.jpg

To Custom Triple Clamp/risers with Pro Taper CR High bend

CLAMP001.jpg

...and all the different adaptor/riser combinations.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDy_XCHKpp4dXcDMI8WS3sbsgCBGFxv2UeFoq6Qg0l_BAaFYJb

...and the conclusion I came down to was this:

A 1" rise from stock is just barely enough to ride all day, and still have great cornering feel and center of gravity when sitting down.

A 2" rise from stock is more comfortable all day, but steering precision is lower, and less comfortable when seated. The bars unfortunately get closer as they get higher because of the angle of the triple clamp. Moving the bars forward 5mm when you go up helps a lot but usually requires custom triple clamps to do so.

Any thing higher with the bars requires a much higher seat ( which I still use and love, but with only 1" bar rise)....but the higher bars don't work unless you stand all day. Sitting down they are like chopper ape hanger bars.

DSCN8377.jpg

thanks for the great reply! so all that said...what was your favorite combo? :busted:

Ha! I was waiting for that!

KX High bend Protaper with approx 1" of rise, and a Guts Racing Tall/Medium soft seat kit, and Fastway Low-boy footpegs.

On the KX I raised the seat another 1" because the pegs are higher up and more forward than on my CRF or WR.

Edited by Krannie

I am 6' 2" and use +1" risers with the stock bars; any more would be too much.

I have a guts racing tall/soft seat. I should have got the medium foam as it has broken in to be about the same ride height as the stock seat. But it is very comfy.

I am going to check out the low-boy pegs. The seat/peg combo is still a little tight.

I ran the combo as you have described on my 04' (riser /adapters plus the Pastrana FMX Pro Taper contour) and I thought it was perfect. (I am 6'3" and grew up riding Reiter :busted:) Be careful though because you will be at about the extent of your throttle cable's reach, it will work though.

On my newer bikes I have gone with BRP sub mount / Scotts stabilizer and stock bars, (could be a little higher in my opinion) Might check out the KX Hi Bend too, thats a good rise but should be cut down in width a little bit for woods.

Good luck!

what riser/adapter did you use with your pastrana bars? and on what bike?

did you feel the 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapter to be stable and safe?

It was an 04' WR450 and I think they were the APPLIED risers or they might have been the ProTaper???

They never felt anything but solid and that bike had almost two full season of Harescrambles on it...

I think tjhis is the only pic that shows the bar height

S5030342.jpg

• Like 1

that does not look to bad actually! how does it handle like that at higher speeds? say desert riding? and how much total rise did the riser itself give you? like an inch or so? and then the bars on top of that? i am trying to find the shortest possible riser to use with the pastrana bars, so my bars are not SIGNIFICANTLY higher if that makes sense?

And SJMC_DON, i would love to hear more about the setup on that '04 wr you just posted. i see alot of aftermarket. would like to know what you ran, what you thought worked, what didn't, and if you did things you thought did not matter much. i can see my bike going alot in that direction, and would love some insider info. obviously we ride alot of the same terrain. you can pm me if you want. thank you sir!

And SJMC_DON, i would love to hear more about the setup on that '04 wr you just posted. i see alot of aftermarket. would like to know what you ran, what you thought worked, what didn't, and if you did things you thought did not matter much. i can see my bike going alot in that direction, and would love some insider info. obviously we ride alot of the same terrain. you can pm me if you want. thank you sir!
?????

• 1 year later...

It was an 04' WR450 and I think they were the APPLIED risers or they might have been the ProTaper???

They never felt anything but solid and that bike had almost two full season of Harescrambles on it...

I think tjhis is the only pic that shows the bar height

S5030342.jpg

What handguards are you running in this picture? I'm looking for some that fit my pastrana fmx bend bars...