2012 Weight Spec Missing? Injectors Clog Easy?

Seems like they have been really holding off on posting the weight specs. Starting to make me nervous why they haven't posted yet?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/210/0/specs.aspx

The main reason I was going to get the WR or the KTM is fuel injection because I want ride anywhere from 5500 to 14000 feet next summer.

Now I have a friend telling me that on the EFI bikes you need to poor your gas in super careful, any dirt can clog the injectors and leave you stranded on the mountain. Any truth in this?

Seems like they have been really holding off on posting the weight specs. Starting to make me nervous why they haven't posted yet?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/210/0/specs.aspx

The main reason I was going to get the WR or the KTM is fuel injection because I want ride anywhere from 5500 to 14000 feet next summer.

Now I have a friend telling me that on the EFI bikes you need to poor your gas in super careful, any dirt can clog the injectors and leave you stranded on the mountain. Any truth in this?

Yes. Common issue on CRF's, KTM's and KX's with FI.

Fuel pumps are also being found to be weak, and failing fast (on KTM's).

If you treat the gas with fuel stabilizer, use a 'tank sock' in the gas tank, and filter the gas through a paper paint filter, the problems seem to go away. You still need to clean the in-tank fuel pump filter cause it picks up the last level of fine dirt, and it too clogs eventually.

" If you choose to be an early adopter of new technology, you get to participate in the required solutions to make it reliable " .

California green sticker FI means it'll hardly run off idle (bog) and it'll run so hot it'll boil when you get in the tight stuff. Correct the fueling witha programmer and some dyno time so it runs right and it'll suck the 2.1 gal tank down in 45 mi. Then you get to buy a $500 gas tank so you can ride anywhere, Like the bike but would rather have a carb.

California green sticker FI means it'll hardly run off idle (bog) and it'll run so hot it'll boil when you get in the tight stuff. Correct the fueling witha programmer and some dyno time so it runs right and it'll suck the 2.1 gal tank down in 45 mi. Then you get to buy a $500 gas tank so you can ride anywhere, Like the bike but would rather have a carb.

Wow I never thought of that or heard about the dirt issues with FI bikes but it makes since. My fear has always been getting too much electronics and high tech stuff mixing with dirt, water, and mud 30 miles away from my truck in the woods can be a bad thing.

But,

If it has the same frame as the new YZ250F which uses a 22mm offset instead of 25mm. It should handle great!

It does, especially for a pig!?

And, IMHO, that's really the only thing that separates it from the current pig, I mean WR.

Edited by SXP

But,

If it has the same frame as the new YZ250F which uses a 22mm offset instead of 25mm. It should handle great!

yes... it will turn with the 22mm offset.

But with that weight, it will still take a little effort to hold that bike steady with your legs.

I think we will have have to wait for the reviews to see what everyone says.

If Yamaha is claiming 273 lbs I cant imagine how much it really weighs. Bike manufactures are about as honest as bike weights as women are about their own

Really, I don't know if it's true but I heard it weighed more than past years. The new gerneration yz450's weigh more than the 09' and older carb models.

It seems as though Yamaha is somewhat embarrassed " and deservedly so" about the fact an already way overweight bike has gained even more pork. They are trying to emphasize other changes and sweep the weight factor onder the rug. However weight is one of the most important factors in a new bike purchase. It's directly related to fatigue and handling regardless of how it's carried. #280lbs is still #280lbs regardless of what they say. And we as riders are the ones making it change direction and trying to make it feel flickable. Weight issues are the #1 problem of all new quads, bikes, sleds, and even new vehicles to a degree. I like my riding style to be able to dictate how a machine handles. The closer the vehicle weight is to my body weight, the easier it's gonna be to throw around. When i was a kid we called it "body english"

I wouldn't say they are embarrased, really they are right in line with all of their competition give or take a couple pounds. I think they don't specify it because it really hasn't changed much so they rather not bring it up. Weight issues are the #1 problem with all off road 4 strokes, they just aren't as light as a 2 stroke of the same size. The weight on the closed coarse racing 4 strokes is much more managable IMO. I looked at WR's when I was looking at bikes but they are just to heavy, I rather sacrifice the electric starter and other epa weight adding parts for the much lighter yz. My yz actually weighs about 2 or 3 pounds less than my ktm 300exc did.

They are what they are.

They are heavier than bikes that cost $3000 more.

Not to surprising, as it has always be this way, and always will, because of warranty issues.

Yamaha is not like KTM; they don't ship fragile, defective motorcycles then make you wait 8 months for them to figure out the problems and then charge you to fix it.

Get over it. If you want a light motorcycle you shouldn't look at this bike, or a CRFX, or an RMZX, or a KLX, etc, etc.

There are hundreds of other reasons to choose it however.

They are what they are.

They are heavier than bikes that cost $3000 more.

Not to surprising, as it has always be this way, and always will, because of warranty issues.

Yamaha is not like KTM; they don't ship fragile, defective motorcycles then make you wait 8 months for them to figure out the problems and then charge you to fix it.

Get over it. If you want a light motorcycle you shouldn't look at this bike, or a CRFX, or an RMZX, or a KLX, etc, etc.

There are hundreds of other reasons to choose it however.

Good points. But its almost not fair to compare the reliability and dependability of the modern era yamahas to the other brands. To their credit, yamaha's seem to be the most stable. Using that same basic engine for the wr is definitely something to their advantage. To their disadvantage is the fact that Yamaha is not really aggressive about making changes and updates. So their bikes will ultimately become dated.

On paper, the yamaha looks like a very nice trail bike. It will be interesting to see if Randy Hawkins and the AMPRO team races this new bike that he seems to have his name all over.

It will be interesting to see if Randy Hawkins and the AMPRO team races this new bike that he seems to have his name all over.

I would be shocked if he anyone fast races this bike in anything but the fastest wide open kinds of races

I could be wrong, Scott Summers shut everyone up on heavy bike