roofer dude

Lectron carb???

19 posts in this topic

The stock Keihin FCR pumper carb is more sophisticated and works better than the Lectron carb ever will. Larger FCR carbs are available or the stock carb can be bored out.

Anyone else have any in put?? I'm really not looking for bottom end , more mid and high end is what I'm looking for. Thanks

wish I had more info for you but all I can tell you I did much searching for my '04 when my FCR was giving me a problem. I looked at eddys and lectron and the only input I recieved was don't do it basically. Couldn't find much out theres otherwise except for some of the xrs like you said.

The Lectron carb has been widely used by some of the Honda XR600/650 group.

So has the Edelbrock , and very successfully, but frankly, the Mikunis most of them came with was not on a par with an FCR-MX. I know a couple of guys who have used Edelbrocks on YZ450's and liked them, and another few who could never make them work right.

An inexpensive way to get a larger carb on the bike is to use one from a CRF450, as they are 41mm, while the YZ450 is 39mm.

Lectrons are great drag racing carbs. The single needle does everythng approach gets very expensive to change jetting. Need to change the 'pilot'? New needle. Need to change the 'main'? New needle.

I ran them years ago on my road race bikes. I could not imagine running them on a MX or woods bike.

Grayracers comment is (as usual) right on target.

I own a 09 yz450 and my son in law the same bike. We ride from sea level up to 8k ft. With a lot of experience with the Edelbrock on yfz 450's and drz 400's I decided to install an Edelbrock on my yz450. The theory was that the Edelbrock has an external adjustment. This would come in handy when we would ride up in elevation and adjustments were needed. After 2 years here is my conclusion. Yes the Edelbrock was easy to adjust in elevations and performed excellent. The problem was that I needed to adjust it on every ride and the exact same bike with the stock carb would perform well in all the elevations with no adjustments. I have since put the stock carb back on my 450 simply because I was tired of adjusting with the Edelbrock every time I went for a ride. I can say that the Edelbrock performed exceptional I just want to go ride and not mess with anything if I don't have to.

Edited by Gunner354

Gunner brings up one of the FCR-MX's most endearing attributes: it's extraordinary flexibility. I admit that living in Southern California does simplify this somewhat, but I run the almost the same jetting year 'round at altitudes from 4200 feet to 80 below sea level at temps ranging from 40 to 110, and except for changing from a 165 to a 168 for 3 months in the winter, the most I ever do is tweak the pilot screw a quarter now and then.

Lectrons are great drag racing carbs. The single needle does everythng approach gets very expensive to change jetting. Need to change the 'pilot'? New needle. Need to change the 'main'? New needle.

I ran them years ago on my road race bikes. I could not imagine running them on a MX or woods bike.

Grayracers comment is (as usual) right on target.

This is actually on a kart running dirt ovals. When I first built and started racing this kart it was way more than I could hook up , but after a few years I'm able to get it to the ground now and need some more ponies . Like I said not looking for anymore bottom end.

The yellow #7 is my Kart.

1 person likes this

Then it might work fine for you. But it will not be better than a FCR.

At part to WOT, the carbs, assuming the jetting is right and the bore is the same, they will flow the same. They both have a flat slide and a needle.

The difference with a FCR is the multitude of circuits and fuel and air jets. You can more accurately fine adjust it for a wide range of throttle openings.

You may want to look at the PSI big air carb. I ran it on my KTM 300 with good results. It has an adjustable main needle, adjustable low speed and a power jet to adjust. In my opinion is superior to the Lectron.

Haven't found a FCR 41mm reasonable yet. The Lectron 44mm Power Jet High Velocity carb with Billet Bowl and Power Ring is $445 . The Big Air Carb's are way out of my price range. $1,200.00 plus.

Don't forget that the stock carb can be bored out for a fraction of that cost. Dave Hopkins here at TT bores out the stock 39mm carbs to 41mm or even up to 43mm. You would end up with a carb that works much better than the Lectron.

Haven't found a FCR 41mm reasonable yet. The Lectron 44mm Power Jet High Velocity carb with Billet Bowl and Power Ring is $445 . The Big Air Carb's are way out of my price range. $1,200.00 plus.

I believe the $1200 carb you saw is for a Harley. Dirtbike are more in the $600 range

The Lectron (WOT only) concept has changed over the years. Contact Kevin (tech@lectronfuelsystems.com) and he will go over your application and honestly tell you if it will work better or worse.

http://lectronfuelsystems.com/carburetor/

I have already talked to Kevin, he seems to know what he's talking about but he is also wanting to sell a carb..... . Not to say what he's telling me is wrong. I 'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a decision. As far as getting one bored out, about what should it cost me and what are the final results? Who should I talk with about this? Who has had this done already and what were the results? Money is to hard to come by to just throw it out there and hope for the best......

As I mentioned before, check with Dave Hopkins here at ThumperTalk for carb boring.

This is actually on a kart running dirt ovals. When I first built and started racing this kart it was way more than I could hook up , but after a few years I'm able to get it to the ground now and need some more ponies . Like I said not looking for anymore bottom end.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJI4_QSrKVkThe yellow #7 is my Kart.

I do UAS racing also Edited by Fourtogo380