HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bfogelma

Splitting cases on a YZ 426

6 posts in this topic

OK so long story short, I need to replace a crankshaft on my bike.

I am planning on doing the work myself, as I have done top ends before and watching videos online i think i can do it as long as im careful... hopefully haha.

My question is what miscellaneous parts will I need? I am going to replace the left half of the crank ( the part that the flywheel ultimately bolts to).

Should i be getting all new crank bearings too, and any other stuff i may be overlooking? It is a 2001 after all...If anyone has split cases on a four stroke before and has some insight please chime in... Thanks!

I did my 426 in april. I would replace any warn bearings. Do yourself a favor and replace all the oil seals along with the gaskets. Goto youtube and search johnnyshop. He has excellant videos of a 250f rebuild. The motors are the same design.

You will need a torx bit, can't remember the size. It's to remove the timing/stator plate to remove the counter balance shaft.

you need a Yamaha service manual. not a climer or any other cheap manual.

the Yamaha manual gives details on removing the motor, gives specs on everything.

you can pull everything apart in a way that you can remember how to put it back together (notes, pics, whatever helps) once you got everything apart you can makes a parts shopping list and order everything at once.

This is the only way to do it. if you only buy bearing a and b... you could find yourself half way done with the rebuild and need more parts.

thanks grayracer, the manual is going to help so much, the bike came with a clymer , and using one of those for reference is like shooting yourself in the foot trying to prepare to run a marathon.