HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACM

Damaged Cylinder - usable?

5 posts in this topic

I chewed a valve and have acquired a 2007 used top end for my 2009YZ450F.

The new-to-me cylinder shows some signs of damage, but I'm not sure how bad it is.

Because of where I'm located, it will probably be easier to get a new cylinder than to get this one sent to be fixed, so it's really a question of whether I can get away with using it as is.

Essentially there's 5 marks (3 quite deep) about 5mm from the top of the cylinder. I'm hoping that because they're so high up it won't be a problem, but they are quite deep. See picture attached.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Al

cylinderPic.jpg

I don't like the looks of that very much. The scuffing/wear to the left of the triangle dings that runs clear to the top doesn't look good either, nor does the smaller ding farther right that's in the ring sweep.

I think I'd fix or replace it.

how much is it to get a cylinder shipped out and repaired? You can get a brand new jug from cheap cycle parts for $425.00

how much is it to get a cylinder shipped out and repaired? You can get a brand new jug from cheap cycle parts for $425.00

Did you look up a 426? The YZ450 cylinder is $315 from TT OEM.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I would say if the rings pass over the damage I wouldn't want to use it.