07 450---> CR500 AF conversion (good idea?)

I was thinkin about converting my 2007 crf450 to an AF cr500... Is this a good idea? Its not that I dont like the 450 engine I just want a change and have always wanted a 500AF...

Does anyone know of a place I could send the frame off to get it welded for the conversion (besides service honda ) that does a super good job?

How much do you think I could get for the 07 engine and what year cr500 engine would be the best for the job? :thumbsup:

I really miss the engine the '08 CRF450R I had had but love the 500AF even more. Both would be nice for sure. That 450 pulled forever.

Anyway, here's a place that does 450 conversions:

http://www.mps500af.com/

Check on cr500riders.com and bannedcr500riders.com for individuals closer to you doing them. I know Paul Stoffers does them in California and MXDogger does them, not sure where he's at though. Both do incredible work. Scroll down this page to see Paul's work on a 450: http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8666&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50 Unreal! :thumbsup:

Personally, I prefer the newer engines and have a '00 in my 500AF. Anything '91 or newer would be good.

Edited by HrcRacing27

paul stoffers knows his stuff just talking on the phone with him i can tell he is into his work

buy the one on ebay.. 03 CR with CR 500 in it..it looked really nice and factory....same as new $3900. sell your bike. much easier...and I am a frankenbike builder.....

But...now I can't find it....did anyone elase see it a couple of days ago?

Edited by lil200

Thanks for the info... I was looking at the prices some of the guys charge to convert a frame:eek: Im still not sure I want to do the conversion yet, if I do I think Ill get the diminsions and have a local fabricator weld it.

By the price people want on ebay for 500 engines It would be cheaper to buy a complete bike then part out the rest!

I really miss the engine the '08 CRF450R I had had but love the 500AF even more.

How about the vibrations are they real bad? My buddy said not to do it because of this. He install a CR500 into a RM250 (steel frame) and said it vibrates like a mother and the AF would be alot worse :thumbsup:

Big difference in vibrations. First thing I noticed was that but a ride or two and you're smiling too much to notice it. :ride::thumbsup: But I rode open-class Honda 's since '82 on and knew what to expect.

PS: You can have the crank worked on (balanced) to lesson the vibs.

I was thinkin about converting my 2007 crf450 to an AF cr500... Is this a good idea? Its not that I dont like the 450 engine I just want a change and have always wanted a 500AF...

Does anyone know of a place I could send the frame off to get it welded for the conversion (besides service honda ) that does a super good job?

How much do you think I could get for the 07 engine and what year cr500 engine would be the best for the job? :thumbsup:

What type of riding do you do?

Any year CR500 would be fun but the later years came from the factory with heavier flywheel and in a milder state of tune.

Hi, a 2002- 2007 cr250 2 stroke chassis makes for a very easy conversion. You only need front engine mounts moved. The frames done.

Other mods are

right lower radiator outlet

1 swingarm spacer

1 exhuast silencer mount

relocate coil + cdi

head stay

Finished..

edit- i forgot headstay

I ride almost all woods type riding and like to hill climb.

Im starting to have second thoughts on converting my 450 Frame and may look for a cheap CR250 donor since its easier:thinking: and I could keep the 450 also:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replys and info, its appreciated:thumbsup: