HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bearsum

UFO Handguard installation '06 WR450F

4 posts in this topic

The UFO expansion bolt for the bar end looks like an old bicycle handlebar neck bolt, split on an angle to expand when tightened. There is also a shoulder that looks like it rests against the bar end. When I trimmed the end of my handgrip and throttle tube I see the plastic throttle tube extends past the handlebar by 1 1/2 inches. No way the expansion bolt is going to work. Am I supposed to push the throttle tube flush with the bar end? Did the previous owner move it? Do I need to cut the LH bar end to match? Buy a new bar? I'm stumped.

The UFO expansion bolt for the bar end looks like an old bicycle handlebar neck bolt, split on an angle to expand when tightened. There is also a shoulder that looks like it rests against the bar end. When I trimmed the end of my handgrip and throttle tube I see the plastic throttle tube extends past the handlebar by 1 1/2 inches. No way the expansion bolt is going to work. Am I supposed to push the throttle tube flush with the bar end? Did the previous owner move it? Do I need to cut the LH bar end to match? Buy a new bar? I'm stumped.

Just move the throttle tube so it's a couple of mm inside of the end of the bar.

x2... what krannie said

who ever installed the throttle tube didnt push it on far enough..

when dealers assemble these bikes they just throw them together..

It appears the previous owner wanted a wider effective bar. He shifted the throttle tube outboard and then moved the bar in the triple clamps off center to split the difference. I found the etched centering marks on the bar were not centered. I shifted the throttle tube and re-centered the bar. I did have to cut off the ball end of the clutch handle to clear the arc of the UFO hand guard , but figured it was no big deal as my hand can't slide off the handle end 'cause it's stopped by the guard. Thanks for the tips.