HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrfjr rich

Loss of coolent

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just purchased a 07 wr450f from a dealer with full service history 5800 mles which i had delivered went out for a 30 min ride and when i got back noticed coolent spirting out from underneath took off bash plate to see where it was coming from and noticed that there is a small hole underneath the waterpump I let the bike cool down then started it up and found that the coolent only started to leak out when the engine had warmed up rang the dealer who said there was a seal that needed replacing which he had got to order

Advice and comments please.

Hi all

Just purchased a 07 wr450f from a dealer with full service history 5800 mles which i had delivered went out for a 30 min ride and when i got back noticed coolent spirting out from underneath took off bash plate to see where it was coming from and noticed that there is a small hole underneath the waterpump I let the bike cool down then started it up and found that the coolent only started to leak out when the engine had warmed up rang the dealer who said there was a seal that needed replacing which he had got to order

Advice and comments please.

Pump seal goes bad if you don't ride the bike.

Bike overheats if it has never been re-jetted from stock.

Both easy fixes.

There are two seals in there, an oil and a water seal. Replace both. There is a bearing on the inside of the cover that supports the pump shaft, replace it as well. Check the shaft closely for wear marks, and consider replacing it. Only about $40 for parts for everything. Do a search, there is a detailed thread with pictures on the replacement procedure. Oh, and a clutch side cover gasket, too.

Mine did the same thing right after I bought it. I did not replace the shaft, but others recommend doing so.

Edited by gsa102
more info