UK ROAD LEGAL KIT ???

I've just managed to get a road legal kit for my wr400. It's a genuine Yamaha kit (part no

5bf-xl 100.0000 )everything's there indicators, new headlight unit inc high/low/side beams , speedo inc drive cable , headlight surround , horn , new wiring loom , rear no.plate holder inc light , side stand mod , 2x mirrors , exhaust extension piece (facing down) , o/h cam to airbox breather pipe , steering lock , 1x rear hydraulic brake light switch ,and all the necessary fittings etc.

BUT NO FRONT BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AS THIS IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE KIT, THERE ARE NO KIT FITTING INSTRUCTIONS EITHER.

CAN ANYBODY ADVISE IF IT IS OK TO JUST TEE

INTO THE REAR SWITCH WHEN PROVIDING ONE ON THE FRONT , ALSO CAN ANYONE LET ME HAVE A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IF THEY ARE AT ALL AVAILIBLE (I HAVE A FAX AT HOME OR EMAIL )

MANY THANKS

JOHN

Taffy, can you give him a hand ?

Dennis

HI John,

My mate bought a french 1999 model WR with the full road kit already fitted. As far as I know the rear brake light switch is all you have/need, as he doesn't have one, and the majority of trail/Enduro bikes dont either.As for that No plate mount, I would bin it, as its way OTT if you are going to use the bike for 1/2 serious off road riding.

I Have an 01 426, and added all the road legal bits myself, and made my friend and myself a No plate mounting bracket from aluminium which is more suitable, and certainly neater. it also still accepts the Yam No plate illumination lamp if you want to use it. If you are intrested, I have it drawn on Autocad, and can send you a DXF or another format, or if you're local to me, I could maybe knock one up for you. Then again, maybe you like the one you have, but it certainly does hang down low..... and what about those steel support tubes!!

Del

sorry.... I meant to say... Doesn't have a front brake light.

Del

John,

Can you tell me if your speedo is in MPH or KPH? I was told, when enquiring, that there were only speedo's with KPH. (wondering if it was bullshit)

I managed to get an aftermarket speedo from JAM sport in Farnham, Surrey which fitted on to the standard cable and was accurate in MPH. But have since replaced it with a trailtech gadget.

Del

How much was it?

Does it use a battery for the indicators?

john

pro racing at daventry do wiring diagrams.

i have a sheet or two on the wiring. send me your Fax No.

at last technology i can understand (but sadly, still destroy!).

you could easily put one of those electrical banjo bolt thingies on the front mastercylinder & re-route your rear brake wires to the front. trouble is that it would stick a huge distance out the front of your bike-like a thrombosis!

you need an 'end on' exiting M/Cylinder for that.

all the french models that got imported cheap & late in the year carried all that gear, i think it looks very smart.

Taffy

Originally posted by Derek Burns:

John,

Can you tell me if your speedo is in MPH or KPH? I was told, when enquiring, that there were only speedo's with KPH. (wondering if it was bullshit)

I managed to get an aftermarket speedo from JAM sport in Farnham, Surrey which fitted on to the standard cable and was accurate in MPH. But have since replaced it with a trailtech gadget.

Del

HI DEL

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES THEY ARE VERY HELPFULL.AS FOR THE STOCK NO.PLATE HOLDER I AGREE ISN'T ANY GOOD , AND I'VE GOT AN ACERBIS ONE INSTEAD.AS FOR THE SPEEDO IT IS IN KPH , BUT WHAT I MIGHT DO IS SEPARATE IT AND PUT IN SOME MPH FIGURES IF POSSIBLE.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

JOHN

Originally posted by wrsm:

How much was it?

Does it use a battery for the indicators?

HI WRSM

IN THE PACK WITH THE INDICATORS IS A FLASHER UNIT AND MAYBE SOME KIND OF BATTERY/ REGULATOR UNIT. IT'S ONY SMALL APPROX 70MM

LONG X 30MM ROUND, IT WEIGHS NEXT TO NOTHING THOUGH, SO WHO KNOWS WHAT IT IS?.

I GOT THE KIT FROM MOTOXTREME IN BRISTOL

01179 600627. HE SELLS THEM FOR £150 BUT

I KNOW HE WILL HAVE A DEAL WITH YOU!!!

GOOD LUCK

JOHN

Originally posted by Taffy:

john

pro racing at daventry do wiring diagrams.

i have a sheet or two on the wiring. send me your Fax No.

at last technology i can understand (but sadly, still destroy!).

you could easily put one of those electrical banjo bolt thingies on the front mastercylinder & re-route your rear brake wires to the front. trouble is that it would stick a huge distance out the front of your bike-like a thrombosis!

you need an 'end on' exiting M/Cylinder for that.

all the french models that got imported cheap & late in the year carried all that gear, i think it looks very smart.

Taffy

HI TAFFY

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

I AGGREE WITH YOU ON THE FITTING OF A FRONT BANJO BOLT SWITCH , IT WOULD STICK OUT TOO FAR SO I'LL JUST MAKE DO WITH THE REAR.

AS FOR THE WIRING DIAGRAM IT WOULD BE REALLY

HELPFULL IF YOU COULD FAX THEM TO ME ON

02392 824066

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP

JOHN

Originally posted by Derek Burns:

HI John,

My mate bought a french 1999 model WR with the full road kit already fitted. As far as I know the rear brake light switch is all you have/need, as he doesn't have one, and the majority of trail/Enduro bikes dont either.As for that No plate mount, I would bin it, as its way OTT if you are going to use the bike for 1/2 serious off road riding.

I Have an 01 426, and added all the road legal bits myself, and made my friend and myself a No plate mounting bracket from aluminium which is more suitable, and certainly neater. it also still accepts the Yam No plate illumination lamp if you want to use it. If you are intrested, I have it drawn on Autocad, and can send you a DXF or another format, or if you're local to me, I could maybe knock one up for you. Then again, maybe you like the one you have, but it certainly does hang down low..... and what about those steel support tubes!!

Del

HI DEREK

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

IF POSSIBLE WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH YOUR MATE WHO HAS THE ROAD KIT FITTED.

I'M HAVING TROUBLE FINDING HOW TO FIT THE

STEERING LOCK SUPPLIED IN THE OFFICIAL KIT I

HAVE.ALSO THE LOWER CENTRAL FIXING ON THE NEW

HEADLIGHT SURROUND SEEMS TO BE SLIGHTLY

OFFSET (15MM ) AND NOT LINING UP WITH THE ORIGINAL BRACKET.

THANKS

JOHN

Hi John,

I can help you with this one, as it's one of the differences I've noted between our bikes.

The headlight screw is offset because on the model with the steering lock (Frog model), the headlight screws to the steering lock, which then screws to the lower yoke.

The headlight on my friends 99 model (Frog) is different from mine (01 426) in that the plastic moulding and the lower mount hole of the headlight are set to one side and is also shaped to match the steering lock, with an exit hole for the key.

Also I seem to remember that his frame also had a lug welded to the head tube of the frame which the steering lock engaged on.

It may be that the lock is just not worth fitting.

hope thats been helpfull John.

Use a disk lock :)

Originally posted by Derek Burns:

Hi John,

I can help you with this one, as it's one of the differences I've noted between our bikes.

The headlight screw is offset because on the model with the steering lock (Frog model), the headlight screws to the steering lock, which then screws to the lower yoke.

The headlight on my friends 99 model (Frog) is different from mine (01 426) in that the plastic moulding and the lower mount hole of the headlight are set to one side and is also shaped to match the steering lock, with an exit hole for the key.

Also I seem to remember that his frame also had a lug welded to the head tube of the frame which the steering lock engaged on.

It may be that the lock is just not worth fitting.

hope thats been helpfull John.

Use a disk lock :)

CHEERS DEL

I THINK MINE IS A HOLLAND BIKE , AND THE KIT

ITALIAN GIVEN THE LABELLING OF THE PARTS (GUESS MY BIKES NOW A BIT OF A MONGREL ).

STILL I'VE NOW FITTED ALL THE PARTS .I

MADE A BRACE TO FIT THE BOTTOM H/LIGHT FIXING.AS FOR THE LOCK I HAV'NT GOT THE ADDED

FRAME BITS YOUR MATES GOT, SO THANKS AGAIN I'LL HAVE TO GET A DISC LOCK.I'VE DONE AWAY WITH MY ACERBIS NO. PLATE HOLDER, AND CONSIDERABLY

CUT DOWN THE STOCK PART AND FITTED THAT

(WITHOUT THOSE REAR BRACKETS).I RECON IT'LL

STAND UP TO THE JOB (HOPEFULLY).

I'M SURPRISED JUST HOW EASY THE KIT WAS TO FIT , I RECON THE BIKES NOW THE DOGS BITS.

I'M STILL RUNNING THE BIKE IN ,I'VE NOW DONE

JUST OVER 225KM (OVER CAUTIOUS MAYBE) ON ROAD (DAMN F+M).

I BOUGHT THE BIKE IN BRISTOL (12KM ON CLOCK)

AND ROAD IT BACK TO PORTSMOUTH (96MILES),

STOPPING EVERY 30 MINS (JUST PLODDING IN 5TH)

.THING IS THOUGH I'VE BEEN PUTTING SUPER UNLEADED IN IT , OR SHOULLD I BE PUTTING

NORMAL UNLEADED IN ?.HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED

SINCE MY OLD YZ125G (NOW SHOWING MY AGE).

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

JOHN

PS ;IF I GET SOME HRS UNDER MY BELT MAYBE I'LL GIVE THE GIRL A LOOK AT MATCHAMS.

Hi John,

Good to hear you're sorted now....Is it a WR or a YZ you have?

I've been putting unleaded and super unleaded fuel in my bike, I'm sure both of them are fine, in fact I think some of these blokes from the USA are using fuel with an octane rating far lower than anything we have over here.

You thinking of doing the Fast Eddie at Matchams? 2 of my mates are doing it, and I will probably be there so I might bump into you if you're there.

Del

Originally posted by john pearce:

HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED

SINCE MY OLD YZ125G (NOW SHOWING MY AGE).

Hey mate, I had a YZ125E and then a YZ250G.

They were my pride and joy.

:)

Originally posted by Derek Burns:
Originally posted by john pearce:

HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED

SINCE MY OLD YZ125G (NOW SHOWING MY AGE).

Hey mate, I had a YZ125E and then a YZ250G.

They were my pride and joy.

:)

THANKS FOR THAT DEL,

I HAVE A 2K WR400.SO NOW I'LL GIVE REGULAR

UNLEADED A GO AS IT'S MORE EASY TO COME BY.

I'LL MAYBE GIVE MATCHAMS A GO, HOPEFULLY

WHEN THE F+M'S GONE I'LL BE GOING TO THE

WOODBURY LANE, EMSWORTH EVENTS.

I'LL GIVE YOU AN EMAIL BEFORE MATCHAMS SO AS WE CAN MEET.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

JOHN

John

why don't you come and give some of our events a go, we are southern counties enduro club and we run arguably the best events in the south of england :D . At our first event of the year we had over 400 entries to ride for 200 spaces :D , included in that entry was Ady Smith, John Deacon, John Shirt, Rob Sartin and hosts of other top boys, they can't all be wrong! Obviously we haven't run any more events so far this year due to F&M :) . Have a look at our website www.enduro.org.uk and register, then come and see us at our next event. Make yourself known to me, mine's the wr 426.

hope to see you soon m8

regs for our latest event, this is a really superb venue, available at:- www.enduro.org.uk/scecregs.pdf

scooby

[This message has been edited by scoobydoo (edited 04-26-2001).]

Originally posted by john pearce:

I'LL GIVE YOU AN EMAIL BEFORE MATCHAMS SO AS WE CAN MEET.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

JOHN[/b]

I'll look forward to it.

Del

G'day taffy could you please email me those wiring diagram pages @xdasy7.bigpond.com.au :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now